Dutchess County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Dutchess County, New York Facts
When was Dutchess County, NY Created?
Dutchess County was created on November 1, 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in theNew York colony.
What counties are adjacent to Dutchess County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Columbia County, Berkshire County, MA, Litchfield County, CT, Fairfield County, CT, Putnam County, Orange County, Ulster County .
Dutchess County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Dutchess County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Dutchess County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Dutchess County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Dutchess County, NY Census Records
What Dutchess County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Dutchess County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Dutchess Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dutchess Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Dutchess Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
- Search The U.S. Federal Census Collection
- U.S. Census Mortality Schedules, New York, 1850-1880
- First federal census of all Dutchess County, New York : comprising 12 towns, Amenia, Beekman, Clinton, Fishkill, Frederickstown
- Dutchess County, NY Census Records Links
- Dutchess County, NY Census QuickFacts
Dutchess County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Dutchess County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Dutchess County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Dutchess County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Dutchess County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 22 Market Street, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
- Dutchess County Clerk
- Phone: 845–486-2120
- Land Records: 1718
- Court Records: 1718
- Dutchess County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (845) 486-2235
- Probate Records: 1752
- Dutchess County Historian
- Address: 549 Main Street, PO Box 88, Poughkeepsie, NY 12602
- Phone: 845-486-3669
- Abstracts of wills of Dutchess County, New York
- Index to wills of Dutchess County, N.Y.
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Dutchess County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Dutchess County, NY?
A list of Dutchess County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Dutchess County Records Management , 170 Washington Street , Poughkeepsie, NY 12601; (845) 486-3677
- Dutchess Co Historical Society, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601; Phone: (845) 471-1630
- Dutchess County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 708, Poughkeepsie 12602
- Adriance Memorial Library, 93 Market St., Poughkeepsie, NY 12601, (845) 485-3445 x3311
- Starr Library, 68 West Market Street, Rhinebeck, New York 12572, Telephone 845.876.4030
- Municipal Historians of Dutchess County
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Dutchess County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dutchess County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Dutchess County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Dutchess County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Dutchess County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.