Fairfield County, Connecticut
Fairfield County was established on May 10, 1666 and was formed as One of four original counties created in Connecticut. The county was named for the hundreds of acres of salt marsh that bordered the coast. The County Seats were Fairfield (1666-1853) and Bridgeport (1853-1960)
Areas adjacent to Fairfield County are Litchfield County, New Haven County, Westchester County, New York, Putnam County, New York, Dutchess County, New York.
Fairfield County vital records can be found at the Connecticut Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Connecticut for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Fairfield County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Connecticut Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application or Town or City Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Fairfield County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fairfield Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fairfield Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fairfield Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Fairfield County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Fairfield County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Connecticut Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Connecticut State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Brookfield Historical Society, 165 Whisconier Road, P.O. Box 5231, Brookfield, CT 06804; Phone: 203-740-8140
- Danbury Museum & Historical Society, 43 Main Street Danbury, CT 06810; (203) 743-5200
- Darien Historical Society, 45 Old Kings Highway North, Darien, CT 06820; Phone:(203) 655-9233
- Fairfield Historical Society, 636 Old Post Rd., Fairfield CT 06430
- Fairfield Museum and History Center, 370 Beach Road, Fairfield CT 06824; Phone: 203-259-1598
- Historical Society of the Town of Greenwich, Inc., 39 Strickland Road, Cos Cob, CT 06807; 203-869-6899
- Middlesex Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 1111, Darien, CT 06820
- Monroe Historical Society, P. O. Box 212, Monroe, CT 06468
- New Canaan Historical Society, 13 Oenoke Ridge, New Canaan, CT 06840; (203) 966-1776
- New Fairfield Historical Society, P.O. Box 8156, New Fairfield, CT 06812; Phone(203) 312-5687
- Newtown Historical Society,44 Main Street, Newtown, CT 06470; Phone:(203) 426-5937
- Norwalk Historical Society, P.O. Box 1640, Mill Hill Historic Park, 2 East Wall Street, Norwalk, Connecticut 06852;
Tel: (203) 846-0525
- Rowayton Historical Society, 177 Rowayton Avenue, Rowayton, CT 06853; Phone:(203) 831-0136
- Ridgefield Historical Society, 4 Sunset Lane, Ridgefield, CT 06877; Phone:(203) 438-5821
- Shelton Historical Society, 70 Ripton Road, Shelton, CT 06484; Phone:(203) 925-1803
- Sherman Historical Society, 10 Connecticut 37, Sherman, CT 06784; Phone:(860) 354-3083
- Stamford Historical Society, 1508 High Ridge Road, Stamford, CT 06903; (203) 329-1183
- Stratford Historical Society, 967 Academy Hill, Stratford, CT 06615; (203) 378-0630
- Trumbull Historical Society, 1856 Huntington Turnpike, Trumbull, CT 06611; (203) 377-6620
- Westport Historical Society, 25 Avery Place, Westport, CT 06880; Phone:(203) 222-1424
- Weston Historical Society, P.O. Box 1092, Weston, CT 06883; (203) 226-1804
- Wilton Historical Society, 224 Danbury Road, Wilton, CT 06897; (203) 762-7257
- Fairfield County, Connecticut Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Fairfield County, Connecticut Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Fairfield County (usgwarchives.net)
Fairfield County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the importance of Fairfield County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Connecticut courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and frustrations of many Connecticut citizens. The chances are great that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Fairfield County court records. Even if your ancestor is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Fairfield County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Fairfield County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Fairfield Co. CT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Fairfield Co. CT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fairfield Co. CT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fairfield Co. CT Census Records
Fairfield Co. CT Church & Cemeteries
Fairfield Co. CT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fairfield Co. CT General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Connecticut
- Fairfield County, Connecticut Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Norwalk, Fairfield County, Connecticut: Historical Records, 1847 (search.ancestry.com)
- Danbury, Connecticut: Town History, 1684-1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Redding Connecticut (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of the old town of Stratford and the city of Bridgeport, Connecticut (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of Fairfield : Fairfield County, Connecticut (search.ancestry.com)
- Fairfield County, Connecticut Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Fairfield Co. CT Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Fairfield County, Connecticut (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Connecticut - Counties - Fairfield (cyndislist.com)
- Fairfield County Connecticut (genealogytrails.com)
- Fairfield Co. CTGenweb (ctgenweb.org)
- Fairfield County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Fairfield Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Fairfield Co. CT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fairfield Co. CT Military Records
Fairfield Co. CT Schools & Directories
- Bridgeport, Connecticut Directories, 1890-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Danbury, Connecticut Directories, 1885-90 (search.ancestry.com)
- Norwalk, Connecticut Directories, 1887-89, 1891 (search.ancestry.com)
- Stamford, Connecticut Directories, 1887-92 (search.ancestry.com)
- Connecticut City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Connecticut. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.