Litchfield County, Connecticut
Litchfield County was established on October 14, 1751 and was formed from Fairfield County and Hartford County. The county was named after Lichfield, England. The County Seat was Litchfield (1751-1960)
Areas adjacent to Litchfield County are Litchfield County, Massachusetts, Hampden County, Massachusetts, Hartford County, New Haven County, Fairfield County, Dutchess County, New York, Columbia County, New York.
Litchfield County vital records can be found at the Connecticut Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Connecticut for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Litchfield County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Connecticut Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application or Town or City Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Litchfield County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Litchfield Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Litchfield Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Litchfield Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
Litchfield County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Litchfield County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Connecticut Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- Connecticut State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barkhamsted Historical Society, PO Box 94, Pleasant Valley, Connecticut 06063; Phone: 860 738-2456
- Bethlehem Historical Society, PO Box 132, 4 Main Street North, Bethlehem, CT 06751; Phone:(203) 266-5188
- Colebrook Historical Society, P.O. Box 85, Colebrook, Connecticut 06021
- Cornwall Historical Society, 7 Pine Street, Cornwall, CT 06753; Phone:(860) 672-0505
- Falls Village-Canaan Historical Society, Inc., 44 Railroad St., P.O. Box 206, Falls Village, CT.; (860) 824-8226
- Gaylordsville Historical Society, P.O. Box 25, 50 Gaylord Road, New Milford, CT 06776; (860) 350-0300
- Goshen Historical Society, 21 Old Middle Street, Goshen, CT 06756; (860) 491-9610
- Gunn Library and Historical Museum,5 Wykeham Road, P.O. Box 1273, Washington, CT 06793; Telephone: 860-868-7756
- Kent Historical Society, 10 Maple Street, Kent, CT 06757; Phone:(860) 927-4587
- Litchfield Historical Society, 7 South Street, Litchfield, CT 06759; (860) 567-4501
- New Milford Historical Society, 6 Aspetuck Avenue, New Milford, CT 06776; (860) 354-3069
- Norfolk Historical Society, 13 Village Grn, Norfolk, CT 06058; Phone:(860) 542-5761
- Sharon Historical Society, 18 Main Street, Sharon, CT 06069; (860) 364-5688
- Torrington Historical Society, 192 Main Street, Torrington, CT 06790; Phone:(860) 482-8260
- Watertown Historical Society, 22 Deforest Street, Watertown, CT 06795; Phone:(860) 274-1050
- Litchfield County, Connecticut Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Litchfield County, Connecticut Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Litchfield County (usgwarchives.net)
Litchfield County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the importance of Litchfield County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Connecticut courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and frustrations of many Connecticut citizens. The chances are great that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some aspects of their lives in the Litchfield County court records. Even if your ancestor is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Litchfield County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to Litchfield County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Litchfield Co. CT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Litchfield Co. CT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Litchfield Co. CT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Litchfield Co. CT Census Records
Litchfield Co. CT Church & Cemeteries
- Sharon, Connecticut, Burying Grounds (search.ancestry.com)
- Burying grounds of Sharon, Connecticut, Amenia and North East, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Litchfield Co., Connecticut Graves (findagrave.com)
- Litchfield County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Litchfield Co., Connecticut Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Litchfield County, Connecticut
- Litchfield Co., Connecticut Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Litchfield County, Connecticut
- Litchfield County, Connecticut Church Books (amazon.com)
Litchfield Co. CT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Litchfield Co. CT General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Connecticut
- Litchfield County, Connecticut Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Norfolk, Litchfield County, Connecticut, 1744-1900 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of the towns of New Milford and Bridgewater, Connecticut, 1803-1882 (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Torrington, Connecticut : from its first settlement in 1737, with biographies and genealogies (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Norfolk, Litchfield County, Connecticut (search.ancestry.com)
- Annals and family records of Winchester, Conn. : with exercises of the centennial celebration, on the 16th and 17th days of Aug (search.ancestry.com)
- Litchfield County, Connecticut Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Litchfield Co. CT Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Litchfield County, Connecticut (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Connecticut - Counties - Litchfield (cyndislist.com)
- Litchfield County Connecticut (genealogytrails.com)
- Litchfield Co. CTGenweb (judsonconnection.com)
- Litchfield County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Litchfield Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Litchfield Co. CT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Litchfield Co. CT Military Records
Litchfield Co. CT Schools & Directories
- Winsted, Connecticut Directories, 1889-94 (search.ancestry.com)
- Connecticut City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Connecticut. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.