New Haven County, Connecticut
New Haven County was established on May 10, 1666 and was formed as One of four original counties created in Connecticut. The county was named after New Haven Harbor, site of one of the early Connecticut colonial settlements. The County Seat was New Haven (1666-1960).
Areas adjacent to New Haven County are Hartford County, Middlesex County, Fairfield County, Litchfield County.
New Haven County vital records can be found at the Connecticut Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Connecticut for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for New Haven County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Connecticut Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application or Town or City Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
New Haven County does have Federal Census Schedules to guide in looking into your family tree. Federal government Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
New Haven Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. New Haven Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. New Haven Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. One can find free online and printable census forms that can help with your research.
New Haven County Society and Family History Resources
A list of New Haven County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Connecticut Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- RAOGK Volunteers for Connecticut (raogk.org)
- Connecticut State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Amity and Woodbridge Historical Society, 1907 Litchfield Turnpike, Woodbridge, CT 06525
- Bethany Historical Society, 512 Amity Road, Bethany, CT 06524; Phone:(203) 393-1832
- Branford Historical Society, 124 Main Street, Box 504, Branford, Connecticut 06405; (203) 488-4828
- Cheshire Historical Society, 43 Church Drive Cheshire, CT 06410; (203) 272-2574
- Derby Historical Society, 37 Elm Street, Ansonia, CT 06401; (203) 735-1908
- East Haven Historical Society Museum, P.O. Box 120052 East Haven, CT 06512; Phone: 203–467–1766
- Guilford Historical Society, P.O. Box 363, Guilford, CT
- Hamden Historical Society, 105 Mount Carmel Avenue, Hamden, CT 06518; Phone:(203) 248-6030
- Madison Historical Society, 14 Meeting House Lane, Madison, CT 06443; (203) 245-4567
- Meriden Historical Society, 424 West Main Street, Meriden, CT 06451; Phone:(203) 237-5079
- Middlebury Historical Society, PO Box 104, Middlebury CT 06762
- Milford Historical Society, 34 High Street, Milford, CT 06460; (203) 874-2664
- Naugatuck Historical Society, 195 Water Street, Naugatuck, CT 06770; (203) 729-9039
- New Haven Museum, (formally knwn as New Haven Colony Historical Society) 114 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510; (203) 562-4183
- North Haven Historical Society, 27 Broadway, North Haven, CT 06473-2302
- Orange Historical Society, 605 Orange Center Road, Orange, CT 06477; Phone:(203) 795-3106
- Oxford Historical Society, PO Box 582, Oxford, Connecticut, 06478
- Seymour Historical Society, 59 West Street, Seymour, CT 06483; Phone:(203) 888-7471
- West Haven Historical Society, 686 Savin Avenue, West Haven, CT 06516; Phone:(203) 932-0088
- Wolcott Historical Society, P.O. Box 6410, Wolcott, CT 06716; Phone 203-879-9818
- New Haven County, Connecticut Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- New Haven County, Connecticut Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for New Haven County (usgwarchives.net)
New Haven County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the importance of New Haven County court, probate, and land records as a source of genealogy and family history information. Buried away in Connecticut courthouses and archives everywhere are the dreams and frustrations of many Connecticut citizens. The chances are great that your ancestors have left a detailed record of at least some aspects of their lives in the New Haven County court records. Even if your ancestor is not mentioned in a Court case, consider all of the other procedures which could have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
New Haven County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relating to New Haven County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
New Haven Co. CT Books, Newspapers & Publications
New Haven Co. CT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
New Haven Co. CT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
New Haven Co. CT Census Records
New Haven Co. CT Church & Cemeteries
- Inscriptions on tombstones in New Haven, erected prior to 1800 (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions on tombstones in Milford, Conn., erected prior to 1800 : together with a few of the aged persons who died after th (search.ancestry.com)
- New Haven Co., Connecticut Graves (findagrave.com)
- New Haven County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- New Haven Co., Connecticut Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for New Haven County, Connecticut
- New Haven Co., Connecticut Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- The evolution of an old New England church : being the history of the Old Stone Church in East Haven, Connecticut (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for New Haven County, Connecticut
- New Haven County, Connecticut Church Books (amazon.com)
New Haven Co. CT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
New Haven Co. CT General and History Websites
New Haven Co. CT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
New Haven Co. CT Military Records
New Haven Co. CT Schools & Directories
- Waterbury, Connecticut Directories, 1889-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ansonia, Connecticut Directories, 1887-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Derby, Connecticut Directories, 1889-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Connecticut City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Connecticut. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.