Westchester County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Westchester County, New York Facts
When was Westchester County, NY Created?
Westchester County was created on November 1, 1683 as One of 12 original counties created in the New York colony.
What is the County Seat of Westchester County, NY?
The County Seat is located in White Plains and in addition the county government website is www3.westchestergov.com/
What counties are adjacent to Westchester County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Putnam County, Fairfield County, CT, Bergen County, NJ, Rockland County, Bronx County.
Westchester County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Westchester County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Westchester County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Westchester County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- New Rochelle, New York deaths, 1853-1881
- Amawalk, Westchester County, New York, Friends Monthly Meeting records : births, marriages and deaths, 1724-1908
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Westchester County, NY Census Records
What Westchester County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Westchester County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Westchester Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westchester Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westchester Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
- Search The U.S. Federal Census Collection
- U.S. Census Mortality Schedules, New York, 1850-1880
- Index to microfilms, U.S. Census, Westchester County, New York
- The United States government census, 1790, Westchester County, New York : arranged and tabulated alphabetically and with groups
- Westchester County, NY Census Records Links
- Westchester County, NY Census QuickFacts
Westchester County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Westchester County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Westchester County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Westchester County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Westchester County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Westchester County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 111 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, White Plains, NY 10601
- Westchester County Clerk Records, with indexes for 1680—1897, are held at the Records Center and Archives. Later deed records are with the county
- Phone: 914-995-3080
- Land Records: 1683
- Court Records: 1683
- Westchester County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 140 Grand Street 8th Floor, White Plains, NY 10601
- Phone: 914-824-5656
- Probate Records: 1775
- Westchester County Historian
- Address: 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523
- Phone: 914–592-4323
- Records of the town of New Rochelle, 1699-1828
- Early wills of Westchester County, New York : from 1664 to 1784 : a careful abstract of all wills (nearly 800) recorded in New
- Old wills of New Rochelle
- Old wills of New Rochelle
- The minutes of the Court of Sessions (1657-1696), Westchester County, New York
- Records of the town of Eastchester, Westchester County, New York
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Westchester County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Westchester County, NY?
A list of Westchester County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Westchester County Historical Society, 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523, Phone: 914.592.4323
- Westchester County Genealogical Society, PO Box 518, White Plains, NY 10603; The Westchester Genealogy Society maintains research materials at the Yorktown New York Family History Center
- Westchester County Historical Society Library, 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523, Phone: 914.592.4323; cemetery listings, church records, censuses, newspapers, and more. The Historical Society's library is located in the County Archives. The Historical Society, along with the County Archives, maintains Westchester's Virtual Archives
- Westchester County Records Center and Archives,, 2199 Saw Mill River Road, Elmsford, NY 10523, Phone: 914.231.1500; Established in 1985, the County Archives collects records created by the county government including deeds, census rolls, estate records, marriages certificates, naturalization records, Surrogate Court records, and Wills. The County Archives, along with the County Historical Society, maintains Westchester's Virtual Archives
- Westchester Library System, Mount Vernon Public Library, Central Library of Westchester, 28 South First Avenue, Mount Vernon, NY, Phone: 914.668.1840; The Westchester Library System consists of more than forty libraries throughout Westchester County. The Mount Vernon Library (central library) has maps, newspapers, church and synagogue files, photographs, school yearbooks, city directories, and more. The Mount Vernon Library is also a partial depository for U.S. Federal documents.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Westchester County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Westchester County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Westchester County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Westchester Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Westchester Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- New Rochelle tombstone inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from gravestones in Yonkers, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from gravestones in Beechwoods Cemetery, New Rochelle, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions from the graveyards in New Rochelle, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from tablets and memorial windows (search.ancestry.com)
- The old Dutch burying ground of Sleepy Hollow (search.ancestry.com)
- Tombstone records of eighteen cemeteries in Poundridge, Westchester County, N.Y. : fully indexed (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions from graveyards in Yonkers & Inwood, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- The Jay Cemetery, Rye, New York : established 1815, incorporated 1906 under New York law as a family cemetery corporation. (search.ancestry.com)
- Sleepy Hollow Cemetery at Tarrytown (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Mark's Episcopal Cemetery, Mt. Kisco, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Burials in and around Pound Ridge, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Cemetery inscriptions of Westchester County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- New Rochelle, New York, cemeteries (search.ancestry.com)
- Purchase, Westchester Co., N.Y. : tombstone inscriptions in the Quaker burying ground and minutes of monthly meetings, etc. : w (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from the gravestones in St. John's Cemetery, Yonkers, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Inscriptions copied from graveyards in Bedford, Westchester County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- The old Dutch burying ground of Sleepy Hollow, in North Tarrytown, New York : a record of the early gravestones and their inscr (search.ancestry.com)
- Names on stones in Quaker Cemetery on Post Road, Larchmont, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Westchester County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Westchester Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Westchester Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Church and Sunday school work in Yonkers (search.ancestry.com)
- First English record book of the Dutch Reformed Church in Sleepy Hollow : formerly the Manor Church of Philipsburgh, now the Fi (search.ancestry.com)
- Purchase, Westchester County, New York, monthly meeting of Friends : intentions of marriage, 1726-1850 / [transcribed by] Willi (search.ancestry.com)
- Poundridge Presbyterian Church, Westchester County, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Purchase Monthly Meeting, Westchester County, New York: Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Chappaqua Monthly Meeting, Westchester County, New York: Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Paul's Church, Eastchester N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Chappaqua, Westchester County, New York Quaker Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Chappaqua, N.Y., Quaker records (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Westchester Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Westchester Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Westchester County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Records of the town of Eastchester (search.ancestry.com)
- Biographical history of Westchester County, New York (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County in history : manual and civil list, past and present : county history, towns, hamlets, villages and cities (search.ancestry.com)
- The journal of the Reverend Silas Constant : pastor of the Presbyterian Church at Yorktown, New York : with some of the records (search.ancestry.com)
- Katonah, Westchester Co., N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Westchester Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Westchester County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Westchester (cyndislist.com)
- Westchester County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Westchester Co. NYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Westchester County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Westchester Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Westchester Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Westchester Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Westchester Co. NY Military Records
Westchester Co. NY Schools & Directories