Ulster County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ulster County, New York Facts
When was Ulster County, NY Created?
Ulster County was created on November 1, 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in the New York colony.
What is the County Seat of Ulster County, NY?
The County Seat is located in Kingston and in addition the county government website is co.ulster.ny.us/
What counties are adjacent to Ulster County, NY?
Bordering Counties are Delaware County, Greene County, Columbia County, Ulster County, Hudson River, Sullivan County, Orange County, Dutchess County.
Ulster County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Ulster County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ulster County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ulster County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- Births, marriages, deaths, New Paltz, Ulster County, New York
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- 10,000 Vital Records of Eastern New York, 1777-1834
- 10,000 Vital Records of Central New York, 1813-1850
- 10,000 Vital Records of Western New York, 1809-1850
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York Marriages to 1784
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1600-1784
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Marriage Notices, 1800-55
- Marriages copied from the Rural repository
- New York, Marriage Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1880 (Barber Collection)
- Names of persons for whom marriage licenses were issued by the secretary of the province of New York, previous to 1784
- New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection)
- New York City Deaths, 1814-16
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Ulster County, NY Census Records
What Ulster County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ulster County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ulster Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ulster Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ulster Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Ulster County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
Ulster County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Ulster County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Ulster County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Ulster County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Ulster County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 244 Fair Street, P.O. 1800, Kingston, New York 12402
- Ulster County Clerk
- Phone: (845) 340-3288
- Land Records: 1684
- Court Records: 1684
- Ulster County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 240 Fair Street, Kingston, N.Y. 12401
- Phone: (845) 340-3348
- Probate Records: 1787
- Ulster County Historian
- Address: 38 Rondout Harbor, Port Ewen, NY 12466
- Phone: 845-331-7380
- Ulster County, N.Y. probate records in the office of the surrogate, and in the county clerk's office at Kingston, N.Y
- Village & Town Clerk Phone Directory
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Ulster County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ulster County, NY?
A list of Ulster County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ulster County Genealogical Society (UCGS), P.O. Box 536, , Hurley, NY 12443; The society has extensive genealogical reference library located in Hurley Reformed Church. It publishes a quarterly newsletter, "The GENIE", to Society members.The research library has Bible Records, Cemetery Records, Census Records, Church Records, Directories, Gazetteers, Genealogies, Maps, Naturalization Records, Newsletters, Newspapers, Obituaries, Reference Books, Surname File Folders, Tax Lists, Undertaker Records, Vital Records, and Wills.
- Ulster County Archives, 300 Foxhall Ave, , Kingston, New York 12401, Phone: 845-340-3415 ; The Archives operate under the auspices of the Ulster County Clerk. They have a catalog online. Records available at the county Archives include:
Census records and indexes, Naturalization records, Birth, marriage and death records, City directories, Poorhouse records, Maps
- New York-Ulster County, Elting Memorial Library, Historical and Genealogical Department, 93 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, 845-255-5030; Family History Library microfilm access, church, cemetery, bible, census, and vital records; maps, city directories, obituaries, compiled genealogies, vertical files, newspapers, and periodicals.
- Ramapo Catskill Library System
- Bevier House Museum , 2682 Route 209,, Marbletown, New York, Telephone: 845-338-5614 ; The museum associated with the Ulster County Historical Society has a research library as well as collections of 18th and 19th century furniture, decorative arts and tools and a Civil War room.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Ulster County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Ulster County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ulster County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.
Ulster Co. NY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Ulster Co. NY Cemeteries & Church Records
- New York Cemetery Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Old gravestones of Ulster County, New York : twenty-two-thousand inscriptions (search.ancestry.com)
- New Paltz rural cemetery records, 1860-1962 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ulster Co., New York Graves (findagrave.com)
- Ulster County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Ulster Co., New York Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Ulster Co., New York Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- New York Church & Bible Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Baptisms of the old Dutch Church of Kingston, New York, 1810-1877 (search.ancestry.com)
- Guilford church records (search.ancestry.com)
- Wawarsing, New York Reformed Dutch Church Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Baptismal and marriage registers of the Old Dutch Church of Kingston : Ulster County, New York, 1660-1809 (search.ancestry.com)
- New York, Family Bible Records, 1581-1917 (search.ancestry.com)
- Ulster County, New York Church Books (amazon.com)
Ulster Co. NY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Ulster Co. NY General and History Websites
- See Also State History for New York
- Ulster County, New York Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- People's history of Kingston, Rondout and vicinity : the first capital of New York State (1820 to 1943) (search.ancestry.com)
- The story of the Paltz : a brief history of New Paltz, N.Y. (search.ancestry.com)
- Semi-centennial celebration of the Rondout Presbyterian Church, Kingston, N.Y. : Rev. Irving Magee, D.D., pastor. (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of New Paltz, N.Y. : horse and buggy days. (search.ancestry.com)
- The beginnings of New York : old Kingston, the first state capital (search.ancestry.com)
- Ulster County, New York Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Ulster Co. NY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Ulster County, New York (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - New York - Counties - Ulster (cyndislist.com)
- Ulster County New York (genealogytrails.com)
- Ulster Co. NYGenweb (hopefarm.com)
- Ulster County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Ulster Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Ulster Co. NY Immigration & Naturalization
Ulster Co. NY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Ulster Co. NY Military Records
Ulster Co. NY Schools & Directories