Ulster County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ulster County, New York Facts
When was Ulster County, NY Created?
Ulster County was created on November 1, 1683 as one of 12 original counties created in the New York colony.
Ulster County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Ulster County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ulster County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ulster County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
- Births, marriages, deaths, New Paltz, Ulster County, New York
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives New York Marriage Project
- New York Births and Christenings, 1640-1962
- New York, County Marriages, 1908-1935
- New York Marriages, 1686-1980
- New York Deaths and Burials, 1795-1952
Ulster County, NY Census Records
What Ulster County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ulster County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ulster Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ulster Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ulster Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Ulster County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Ulster County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Ulster County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Ulster County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Ulster County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 244 Fair Street, P.O. 1800, Kingston, New York 12402
- Ulster County Clerk
- Phone: (845) 340-3288
- Land Records: 1684
- Court Records: 1684
- Ulster County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Address: 240 Fair Street, Kingston, N.Y. 12401
- Phone: (845) 340-3348
- Probate Records: 1787
- Ulster County Historian
- Address: 38 Rondout Harbor, Port Ewen, NY 12466
- Phone: 845-331-7380
- Ulster County, N.Y. probate records in the office of the surrogate, and in the county clerk’s office at Kingston, N.Y
- Village & Town Clerk Phone Directory
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Ulster County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ulster County, NY?
A list of Ulster County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ulster County Genealogical Society (UCGS), P.O. Box 536, , Hurley, NY 12443; The society has extensive genealogical reference library located in Hurley Reformed Church. It publishes a quarterly newsletter, “The GENIE”, to Society members.The research library has Bible Records, Cemetery Records, Census Records, Church Records, Directories, Gazetteers, Genealogies, Maps, Naturalization Records, Newsletters, Newspapers, Obituaries, Reference Books, Surname File Folders, Tax Lists, Undertaker Records, Vital Records, and Wills.
- Ulster County Archives, 300 Foxhall Ave, , Kingston, New York 12401, Phone: 845-340-3415 ; The Archives operate under the auspices of the Ulster County Clerk. They have a catalog online. Records available at the county Archives include: Census records and indexes, Naturalization records, Birth, marriage and death records, City directories, Poorhouse records, Maps
- New York-Ulster County, Elting Memorial Library, Historical and Genealogical Department, 93 Main Street, New Paltz, NY 12561, 845-255-5030; Family History Library microfilm access, church, cemetery, bible, census, and vital records; maps, city directories, obituaries, compiled genealogies, vertical files, newspapers, and periodicals.
- Ramapo Catskill Library System
- Bevier House Museum , 2682 Route 209,, Marbletown, New York, Telephone: 845-338-5614 ; The museum associated with the Ulster County Historical Society has a research library as well as collections of 18th and 19th century furniture, decorative arts and tools and a Civil War room.
- New York Genealogy Research Community (facebook.com)
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Ulster County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ulster County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Ulster County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Ulster County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ulster County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.