Columbia County, New York
Genealogy, History & Facts
Columbia County, New York Facts
When was Columbia County, NY Created?
Columbia County was created on April 4, 1786 from Albany County.
Columbia County, NY Vital Records
Where can find Columbia County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Columbia County vital records can be found at the New York Department of Health which has copies of birth records after 1881 and death records after 1880, copies of marriage since 1881 and a Divorce records since 1847 . There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in New York for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Columbia County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for New York Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Columbia County, NY Census Records
What Columbia County, NY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Columbia County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Columbia Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbia Co. Industry and Agriculture is available for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Columbia Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890.
There are New York State censuses from 1880, 1892, 1905, 1855, 1865, 1875, 1892, 1905, 1915, 1925. You can get free downloadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also New York Census Records Research Guide
Columbia County, NY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Columbia County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Columbia County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in New York courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless New York residents. The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Columbia County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also New York Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Columbia County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 401 State St., Hudson, NY 12534
- Columbia County Clerk
- Phone: ?
- Land Records: 1786
- Court Records: 1786
- Columbia County Surrogate Court Clerk
- Phone: (518) 828-0414
- Probate Records: 1786
- Columbia County Historian
- Address: 490 County Route 10, Germantown, NY 12526; 610 State Street, Hudson, NY 12534
- Phone: (518) 828-3442
- Calendar of wills of Columbia County, New York
- Chatham & Hudson Monthly Meeting, Columbia County, New York: Quaker Records
- New York Wills, 1626-1836
- BLM Land Records
Columbia County, NY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Columbia County, NY?
A list of Columbia County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide New York Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Columbia County Historical Society, PO Box 311, Kinderhook, NY 12106; (518) 758-9265
- Columbia County, NY On-Line History, On-Line Historical Archives, This is a growing collection of transcripts, indexes, and photographs related to the history of Columbia County, NY. It includes oral histories and folklore, several gazetteers, federal and state censuses, early probates, deeds, private papers, and more.
- New York State Archives and Records Administration, 11th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230; (518) 474-8955
- New York State Library, Cultural Education Center, 7th Floor, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230
- The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, 122 East 58th Street, New York, New York 10022-1939
- New York State Historical Association, West Lake Road, P.O. Box 800, Cooperstown, New York, 13326-0800
Where can I connect with other Columbia County, NY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- New York Genealogy Community (plus.google.com)
- New York State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Columbia County, New York Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Columbia County, New York Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Columbia County, NY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Columbia County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a cost. This is simply a listing that has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.