Fayette County was established on September 26, 1783 from Westmoreland County. The county was named in honor of Marquis de Lafayette, French-born Revolutionary War general.
Currently the Fayette County Seat is located in Uniontown and in addition the county government website is www.co.fayette.pa.us
Counties adjacent to Fayette County are Westmoreland County (north), Somerset County (east), Garrett County, Maryland (southeast), Preston County, West Virginia (south), Monongalia County, West Virginia (southwest), Greene County (west), Washington County (northwest).
Municipalities situated in Fayette County consist of Townships: Brownsville, Bullskin, Connellsville, Dunbar, Franklin, Georges, German, Henry Clay, Jefferson, Lower Tyrone, Luzerne, Menallen, Nicholson, North Union, Perry, Redstone, Saltlick, South Union, Springfield, Springhill, Stewart, Upper Tyrone, Washington, Wharton. Boroughs: Belle Vernon, Brownsville, Dawson, Dunbar, Everson, Fairchance, Fayette City, Markleysburg, Masontown, Newell, Ohiopyle, Perryopolis, Point Marion, Seven Springs, Smithfield, South Connellsville, Vanderbilt. Cities & Towns: Connellsville, Uniontown. See also Fayette County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
Fayette County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Fayette County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail. Walk-in service is available at any of these six public offices: Erie, Harrisburg, New Castle, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Scranton.
Fayette County does have Federal Census Schedules to assist in looking into your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Fayette Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fayette Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Fayette Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help with your research.
Fayette County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Fayette County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Pennsylvania (raogk.org)
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com) series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Fayette County Genealogical Society, 24 Jefferson Street, Uniontown 15401-3699
- Fayette CountyHistorical Society, PO Box 193, Uniontown Pa 15401, 724-439-4422,
- Brownsville Historical Society, PO Box 24, Brownsville PA 15417; 724-785-6882
- Bullskin Township Historical Society, PO Box 724, Mt. Pleasant PA 15666; 724-887-7729
- Chestnut Ridge Historical Society, PO Box 62, Jones Mills PA 15646; 724-593-3102
- Connellsville Area Historical Society, 299 S Pittsburgh Street Connellsville PA 15425; 724-628-5640
- Dunbar Historical Society, PO Box 366, Dunbar PA 15431; 724-277-8448
- Greater Tri Town Area Historical Society, Box 189, Dawson PA 15428; 724-529-2427
- Masontown Historical Society, PO Box 769, Masontown PA 15461;
- Fort Mason Historical Society, PO Box 246, Masontown PA 15461; 724-583-9944
- Smock Historical Society , 203 Main Street , Smock PA 15480; 724-677-2415
- Fayette County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fayette County
- Fayette County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fayette County
Fayette County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often forget the great importance of Fayette County court, probate, and land documents as a resource of genealogical information. Hidden away in Pennsylvania courthouses and archives everywhere are the hopes and dreams and frustrations of countless Pennsylvania inhabitants. The possibilities are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least several factors of their lives in the Fayette County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures which may have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
You should speak to the clerk's department to determine hours, mailing address, fees and other facts in advance of visiting or looking for information because of sometimes changing contact info. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of employees will guide individuals in locating the materials, but it's up to the man or women to complete the researching.
The below information and facts shows whatever death, marriage, birth,, land, wills, and legal records are typically in Fayette County. The dates indicated listed below tend to be the first known records data with this county.
- Fayette County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 61 East Main Street, Uniontown, PA 15401
- Phone: (724) 430-1200
- Fayette County Recorder of Deeds is responsible for recording documents related to property. Documents recorded consist of, but are not limited to, deeds, mortgages, restrictions, notaries, public and elected county officers. Other documents, such as Military Service Discharges, foreign birth certificates, as well as obscure documents like cattle brands, are also recorded here.
- Phone: (724) 430-1238
- Land Records: 1784
- Fayette County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has been the clerk of court of common pleas since 1707. Court records here include divorces, naturalizations, peddlers' licenses, registration of attorneys, oaths of county officers, equity, sheriff's sales, juror lists, some tax records, and some civil court records.Other court records are with the clerk of courts.
- Phone: 724-430-1253
- Court & Divorce Records: 1784
- Fayette County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk are often the same person, sometimes sharing the responsibility of the recorder of deeds and clerk of courts as well. The Register of Wills' principal duties include probating wills and accepting for filing all documents necessary to complete the administration of a decedent's estate. The Clerk of Orphans' Court, our office serves as the filing office and custodian of records for matters involving adoptions, guardianships and estate litigation. The office also issues all marriage licenses. Since 1885 the clerk of the orphans' court in each county has had the responsibility of recording marriages
- Phone: (724) 430-1206
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1784
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Fayette County Tax Assessor Office has tax records but may also be in the county commissioners' office or with the prothonotary.
Fayette County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources relevant to Fayette County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to provide your own favorite Fayette County genealogy or family history related sites.
Fayette Co. PA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fayette Co. PA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Pennsylvania Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997) (genealogybank.com) Immediately uncover names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Brand new content added monthly!
- Morning Herald (Uniontown, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Daily Courier (Connellsville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Evening Standard (Uniontown, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Daily News Standard (Uniontown, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Courier (Connellsville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Weekly Courier (Connellsville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Keystone Courier (Connellsville, Pennsylvania) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fayette County, Pennsylvania Books (amazon.com)
- Search Pennsylvania Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Fayette County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Fayette Co. PA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Fayette County, Pennsylvania Vital Records, 1750-1890 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 - 1950 (familysearch.org)
- Pennsylvania, Death Certificates, 1906-1924 (search.ancestry.com) This database includes death records beginning on that date through 1924. Later records will eventually be added to this collection. Records of stillbirths were required to be filed as both a birth and death record, so you may find records of stillborn children in this collection.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Fayette Co. PA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fayette Co. PA Census Records
Fayette Co. PA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fayette Co. PA Church & Bible Records
Fayette Co. PA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Fayette Co. PA General and History Websites
Fayette Co. PA Immigration & Naturalization
Fayette Co. PA Military Records