Washington County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Washington County, PA Created?
Washington County was established on March 28, 1781 from Westmoreland County.
What counties are adjacent to Washington County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Beaver County, Allegheny County, Westmoreland County, Fayette County, Greene County, Marshall County, West Virginia, Ohio County, West Virginia, Brooke County, West Virginia, Hancock County, West Virginia.
Washington County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Cross Creek, Pennsylvania Deaths, 1810-90
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
Washington County, PA Census Records
What Washington County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Washington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Washington County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Washington County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: One South Main Street, Washington, PA 15301
- Phone: (724) 228-6775
- Washington County Recorder of Deeds
- Address: 100 West Beau Street, Room 204, Washington, PA 15301
- Phone: 724-228-6806
- Land Records: 1781
- Washington County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 724-228-6787
- Court & Divorce Records: 1781
- Washington County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: 724-228-6775
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1781
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Estate records, 1781-96, and deed records, 1782-85, in Washington County, Pennsylvania
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Washington County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, PA?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- Washington County Historical Society, 49 East Maiden Street, Washington, PA 15301; Ph 724-225-6740
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Washington County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.