Hancock County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Hancock County, West Virginia Facts
When was Hancock County, WV Created?
Hancock County was established on January 15, 1848 from Brooke County.
What counties are adjacent to Hancock County, WV?
Bordering Counties are Columbiana County, Ohio (north and west), Beaver County, Pennsylvania, Washington County, Pennsylvania, Brooke County, Jefferson County, Ohio.
Hancock County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Hancock County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Hancock County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Hancock County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Hancock County, WV Census Records
What Hancock County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Hancock County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Hancock Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hancock Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Hancock Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Hancock County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Hancock County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Hancock County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 102 N Court St, New Cumberland, WV 26047
- Hancock County Clerk
- Phone: 304-564-3311 Ext. 266
- Birth / Death Records: 1853
- Marriage Records: 1854
- Land Records: 1848
- Probate Records: 1848
- Hancock County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: 304-564-3311, Ext. 261
- Court Records: 1848
Hancock County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Hancock County, WV?
A list of Hancock County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Mary H Weir Public Library, 3442 Main Street, Weirton, WV 26062-4590; Phone: (304) 797-8510
- Hancock County Historical Society of West Virginia, Swaney Library, New Cumberland, WV 26047; mailing address: 2669 Main Street, Weirton, WV 26062; Phone (304) 748-4829
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Hancock County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia Genealogy Network Community
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Hancock County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Hancock County
- Hancock County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Hancock County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Hancock County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.