Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania
Genealogy, History & Facts
Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Facts
When was Westmoreland County, PA Created?
Westmoreland County was established on February 26, 1773, from Bedford County.
What counties are adjacent to Westmoreland County, PA?
Bordering Counties are Armstrong County, Indiana County, Cambria County, Somerset County, Fayette County, Washington County, Allegheny County, Butler County.
Westmoreland County, PA Vital Records
Where can find Westmoreland County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Westmoreland County vital records can be found at the Pennsylvania Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records since 1906 and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Pennsylvania for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
You can search online for Westmoreland County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Pennsylvania Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Births, baptisms (3683) of the First Lutheran Church, Westmoreland County, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, 1792-1853
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Pennsylvania Marriage Project
- Pennsylvania Vital Records, Vol. I, Vol. II, Vol. III
- Pennsylvania, Births and Christenings, 1709-1950
- Pennsylvania, Marriages, 1709-1940
- Pennsylvania County Marriages, 1885 – 1950
- Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803-1915
Westmoreland County, PA Census Records
What Westmoreland County, PA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Westmoreland County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Westmoreland Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westmoreland Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Westmoreland Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be found for 1890. You can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Pennsylvania Census Records Research Guide
Westmoreland County, PA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Westmoreland County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Westmoreland County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Pennsylvania Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Westmoreland County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 2 North Main Street, Greensburg, PA 15601
- Phone: (724) 830-3000
- Westmoreland County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 724.830.3518
- Land Records: 1773
- Westmoreland County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts
- Phone: 724.830.3734
- Court & Divorce Records: 1773
- Westmoreland County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: 724.830.3177
- Marriage & Probate Records: 1773
- Birth & Death Records: before Jan 1906
- Pennsylvania, Wills and Probate Records, 1683-1993
- Abstracts of wills, Bible records
- Wills & letters of administrations of Westmoreland County Court House, Greensburg, Pennsylvania
- Early Pennsylvania Land Records
- BLM Land Records
Westmoreland County, PA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Westmoreland County, PA?
A list of Westmoreland County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Pennsylvania Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pennsylvania Archives – Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission (fold3.com)
- Westmoreland County Historical Society , 951 Old Salem Rd., Greensburg, PA 15601; (412) 836-1800
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601
Where can I connect with other Westmoreland County, PA Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Pennsylvania Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- State of Pennsylvania Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Westmoreland County, PA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Westmoreland County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a cost. This is basically a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another.