Garrett County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Garrett County, Maryland Facts
When was Garrett County, MD Created?
Garrett County was created on November 4, 1872 from Allegany County.
What counties are adjacent to Garrett County, MD?
Bordering Counties are Somerset County, Pennsylvania, Allegany County, Mineral County, West Virginia, Grant County, West Virginia, Tucker County, West Virginia, Preston County, West Virginia, Fayette County, Pennsylvania.
Garrett County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Garrett County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Garrett County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Garrett County, MD Census Records
What Garrett County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Garrett County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Garrett County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Garrett County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Garrett County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Garrett County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Garrett County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 203 S. 4th Street, Oakland, Maryland 21550
- Garrett County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 301-334-1937
- Marriage Records: 1873
- Land Records: 1873
- Garrett County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Address: 313 East Alder Street – Room 103, Oakland, Maryland 21550
- Phone: (301) 334-1999 or (888) 334-2203
- Probate Records: 1872
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Inventory of the county and town archives of Maryland: Garrett County
- Maryland, Garrett County Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1920-1940
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Garrett County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Garrett County, MD?
A list of Garrett County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Western Maryland Historical Regional Library, 100 South Potomac Street, Hagerstown, Maryland 21740
- Garrett County Historical Society, 107 South Second St., Oakland, MD 21550, (301) 324-3226
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Garrett County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Garrett County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Garrett County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Garrett County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Garrett County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.