Allegany County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Allegany County, Maryland Facts
When was Allegany County, MD Created?
Allegany County was created on December 25 1789 from Washington County.
What counties are adjacent to Allegany County, MD?
Bordering Counties are Somerset County, Pennsylvania, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, Fulton County, Pennsylvania, Washington County, Morgan County, West Virginia, Hampshire County, West Virginia, Mineral County, West Virginia, Garrett County.
Allegany County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Allegany County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Allegany County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Allegany County, MD Census Records
What Allegany County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Allegany County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Allegany Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegany Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Allegany Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Allegany County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Allegany County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Allegany County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Allegany County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Allegany County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 30 Washington Street, Cumberland,MD 21502
- Phone: 301-777-5923
- Allegany County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: (301) 777-5923
- Marriage Records: 1791
- Land Records: 1791
- Allegany County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Address: 59 Prospect Square – 1st Floor, Cumberland, Maryland 21502
- Phone: (301) 724-3760 or (888) 724-0148
- Probate Records: 1790
- Allegany County Government Records are available in original, microfilm and digital formats from the Maryland State Archives
- Inventory of the county archives of Maryland.
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Allegany County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Allegany County, MD?
A list of Allegany County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Allegany County Historical Society, History House, 218 Washington St., Cumberland, MD 21502 – 2827, (301) 777-8678
- Genealogical Society of Allegany County, Allegany College of Maryland Library, 12401 Willowbrook Road, SE, Cumberland, MD 21502-2596
- Western Maryland Historical Regional Library, 101 Tandy Drive, Hagerstown, Maryland 21740 – Historical documents and photographs from the libraries and historical societies of Allegany, Garrett and Washington Counties, Maryland
- Allegany Co Public Library, 31 Washington Str, Cumberland, MD 21502; Ph: 301-777-1200; Fax: 301-777-7299
- South Cumberland Library, 100 Seymour Str, Cumberland, MD 21502; Ph: 301-724-1607, Fax: 301-724-1504
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Allegany County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Allegany County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Allegany County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Allegany County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Allegany County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.