Washington County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Washington County, Maryland Facts
When was Washington County, MD Created?
Washington County was created on September 6, 1776 from Frederick County.
What counties are adjacent to Washington County, MD?
Bordering Counties are Fulton County, Pennsylvania, Allegany County, Morgan County, West Virginia, Berkeley County, West Virginia, Jefferson County, West Virginia, Loudoun County, Virginia, Frederick County, Franklin County, Pennsylvania.
Washington County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Washington County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Washington County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Washington County, MD Census Records
What Washington County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Washington County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Washington County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Washington County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Washington County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Washington County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 24 Summit Avenue, Hagerstown 21740
- Washington County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 301-733-8660
- Marriage Records: 1777
- Land Records: 1777
- Washington County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (301) 739-3612, (301) 739-3619 or (888) 739-0013
- Probate Records: 1777
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Washington County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Washington County, MD?
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Western Maryland Historical Regional Library, 100 South Potomac Street, Hagerstown, Maryland 21740
- Washington County Historical Society, P. O. Box 1281, Miller House, 135 West Washington St., Hagerstown, MD 21741 – 1281, (301) 797-8782
- Washington County Free Library, Hagerstown, Maryland;
- We list: Obituary Locator 1790-2007; Historic Newspaper Index; Whilbr – Western Maryland Digital Marriage Records; School Records; Church Records; Land Records; 1877 Atlas; City Directory 1893-9; Cemetery & Death records.
- Also a list of published materials available in the Library: County & Regional Histories; Military Records; Telephone Directories; Census records; Historical Maps; Naturalization records; School Yearbooks; Hagerstown Farmers Almanacs; Manumission records; City Directories; Wills & Estates.
- Inventory of the county and town archives of Maryland: Washington County (search.ancestry.com)
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Washington County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Washington County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Washington County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.