Frederick County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Frederick County, Maryland Facts
When was Frederick County, MD Created?
Frederick County was created on June 10, 1748 from Prince George’s and unorganized land.
What counties are adjacent to Frederick County, MD?
Bordering Counties are Adams County, Pennsylvania, Carroll County, Howard County, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, Montgomery County, Washington County, Loudoun County, Virginia.
Frederick County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Frederick County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Frederick County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Frederick County, MD Census Records
What Frederick County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Frederick County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Frederick Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Frederick Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Frederick Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Frederick County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Frederick County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Frederick County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Frederick County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Frederick County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 West Patrick Street, Frederick, Maryland 21701
- Frederick County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 301-600-1976
- Marriage Records: 1748
- Land Records: 1748
- Frederick County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (301) 600-6565 or (888) 258-0526
- Probate Records: 1751
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Frederick County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Frederick County, MD?
A list of Frederick County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Brunswick Historical Society, 40 W Potomac St, Brunswick 21716-1111
- Historical Society of Frederick County, Inc., 24 East Church St., Frederick, MD 21701, (301) 663-1188
- Frederick County Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 412, Frederick, MD 21770
- Emmitsburg Historical Society, 15339 Sixes Bridge Road, Emmitsburg, Md., 21727; 301-471-3306
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, 305 East Main Street Middletown, MD 21769; (301) 371-7582
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Frederick County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Frederick County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Frederick County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Frederick County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Frederick County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.