Prince George’s County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Prince George’s County, Maryland Facts
What counties are adjacent to Prince George’s County, MD?
Bordering Counties are Anne Arundel County, Calvert County, Charles County, Howard County, Montgomery County, Fairfax County, Virginia, Alexandria, VA, Washington, DC.
Prince George’s County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Prince George’s County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Prince George’s County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
- Marriage records, Prince Georges Co., Maryland, 1777 to 1836
- Index of Marriage Licenses, Prince George’s County, Maryland 1777-1886
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives Maryland Marriage Project
- Maryland, Births and Christenings, 1650-1995
- Maryland, Deaths and Burials, 1877-1992
Prince George’s County, MD Census Records
What Prince George’s County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Prince George’s County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Prince George’s Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Prince George’s Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Prince George’s Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Prince George’s County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Prince George’s County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Prince George’s County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Prince George’s County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Prince George’s County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772-3050
- Prince George’s County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 301-952-3318
- Marriage Records: 1696
- Land Records: 1696
- Prince George’s County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (301) 952-3250 or (888) 464-4219
- Probate Records: 1698
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Prince George’s County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Prince George’s County, MD?
A list of Prince George’s County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Prince George’s Historical Society, 5626 Bell Station Road, Glenn Dale, MD 20769 – 9120, (301) 464-0590
- Prince George’s County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 819, Bowie, MD 20718-0819; 301-262-2063.
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Prince George’s County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Prince George’s County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Prince George’s County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Prince George’s County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Prince George’s County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.