Charles County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
Charles County, Maryland Facts
When was Charles County, MD Created?
Charles County was created on April 13, 1658 from unorganized territory.
What counties are adjacent to Charles County, MD?
Bordering Counties are Prince George’s County, Fairfax County, Virginia, Calvert County, Stafford County, Virginia, Prince William County, Virginia, St. Mary’s County, Westmoreland County, Virginia, King George County, Virginia.
Charles County, MD Vital Records
Where can find Charles County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Charles County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
Charles County, MD Census Records
What Charles County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Charles County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Charles Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charles Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Charles Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
Charles County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Charles County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Charles County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Charles County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Charles County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 Charles Street , La Plata, MD 20646
- Charles County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 301-932-3201 or 301-870-2659
- Marriage Records: 1658
- Land Records: 1658
- Charles County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Address: 11 Washington Avenue, PO Box 3080, La Plata, Maryland 20646-3080
- Phone: (301) 932-3345 or (888) 256-0054
- Probate Records: 1665
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- Index to court records, Charles County, Maryland
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
Charles County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Charles County, MD?
A list of Charles County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Charles County Historical Society, P. O. Box 2806, La Plata, MD 20646, (301) 934-2564
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other Charles County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Charles County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Charles County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Charles County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Charles County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.