Prince William County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Prince William County, Virginia Facts
When was Prince William County, VA Created?
Prince William County was established on June 17, 1730 from Stafford County and King George County .
What is the County Seat of Prince William County, VA?
The County Seat is located in Manassas also, the county government website is www.pwcgov.org/ .
What counties are adjacent to Prince William County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Loudoun County, Fairfax County, Charles County, Maryland, Stafford County, Fauquier County (West).
Prince William County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Prince William County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Prince William County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Prince William County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Prince William Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Prince William Health District, 8470 Kao Circle, Manassas, VA 20110; Phone: 703-792-6310
- Prince William County, Virginia Births, 1853-77
- Prince William County, Virginia Births, 1878-96
- Prince William County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records - Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Prince William County, VA Census Records
What Prince William County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Prince William County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Prince William Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Prince William Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Prince William Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Prince William County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
PrinceWilliam County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the PrinceWilliam County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in PrinceWilliam County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Prince William County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Address: 9311 Lee Avenue, Manassas, VA 20110
- Phone: (703) 792-6015
- Marriage Records: 1859
- Land Records: 1731
- Court Records: 1734
- Probate Records: 1731
- Prince William County, Virginia Wills, Part 2, 1734-1920
- Prince William County, Virginia Wills, Part 1, 1734-1951
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes - County and city records document the daily activities of the courts in Virginia's counties, independent cities, and towns. The Library of Virginia houses both original and microfilm records for many of Virginia's counties and independent cities. The guides list will help researchers navigate the complex variety of county and city records in the Library's collections. It includes County and City Records at the Library of Virginia, Using County and City Court Records, Chancery Cases, Judgments, Lost Records Localities database and Burned Jurisdiction database.
- Virginia County Records, Volume, VI, VII , IX, X - The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- BLM Land Records
Prince William County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Prince William County, VA?
A list of Prince William County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Prince William County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2019, Manassas, VA 20108-0812
- Historic Prince William, Inc., P.O. Box 1731, Woodbridge, VA 22195-1731
- Historic Dumfries, Inc., The Weems-Botts Museum, P.O. Box 26, Dumfries, VA 22026, (703) 670-2660, (703) 221-3346
- The Manassas Museum, 9101 Prince William Street, P.O. Box 560, Manassas, VA 22110, (703) 368-1873
- Prince William Public Library System, Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center (RELIC) for Genealogy and Local History, Bull Run Regional Library, 8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA 20109, (703) 792-4540
- The Library of Virginia, Archives And Research Services , 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- The Library of Virginia, 800 East Broad Street, Richmond, Virginia 23219-8000; 804-692-3500
- Virginia Genealogical Society, 5001 West Broad Street, Suite 115, Richmond, Virginia 23230-3023 Telephone (804) 285-8954
- Virginia Historical Society, 428 North Boulevard, Richmond, Virginia 23220, Phone: 804.358.4901
- Prince William County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia (lva.virginia.gov)
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Prince William Co. Virginia
Where can I connect with other Prince William County, VA Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Prince William County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Prince William County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Prince William Co. VA Books, Newspapers & Publications
Prince William Co. VA Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Prince William Co. VA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Prince William Co. VA General and History Websites
Prince William Co. VA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Prince William Co. VA Military Records