St. Mary’s County, Maryland
Genealogy, History & Facts
St. Mary’s County, Maryland Facts
When was St. Mary’s County, MD Created?
St. Mary’s County was created on January 24, 1637 from as an Original County from unorganized territory (named Potomac County between 1654 and 1658).
St. Mary’s County, MD Vital Records
Where can find St. Mary’s County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
St. Mary’s County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Maryland for current fees and application process.
State of Maryland Archives files, stores, and issues certified copies of vital records including Birth certificates from 1898 for Maryland counties and since 1875 for Baltimore City, Death certificates prior to 1969 and Marriage certificates since 1640 for events that occurred in Maryland.
St. Mary’s County, MD Census Records
What St. Mary’s County, MD census records are available?
There are many types of census records for St. Mary’s County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
St. Mary’s Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Mary’s Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. St. Mary’s Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890.
Another state census is the Maryland Colonial Census of 1776. There is free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Maryland Census Records Research Guide.
St. Mary’s County, MD Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the St. Mary’s County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of St. Mary’s County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Maryland courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Maryland residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the St. Mary’s County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Maryland Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- St. Mary’s County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 41605 Courthouse Drive, Leonardtown, Maryland 20650
- St. Mary’s County Circuit Court Clerk
- Phone: 301-475-7844
- Marriage Records: 1827
- Land Records: 1827
- St. Mary’s County Register of Wills/ Orphan’s Court Clerk
- Phone: (301) 475-5566 or (888) 475-4821
- Probate Records: 1658
- County Records on Digital Media
- County Records on Microfilm
- Original County Records
- General index of wills of St. Mary’s County, Maryland, 1633-1900
- Maryland, Probate Estate and Guardianship Files, 1796-1940
- Maryland, Register of Wills Books, 1629-1983
- BLM Land Records
St. Mary’s County, MD Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for St. Mary’s County, MD?
A list of St. Mary’s County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Maryland Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- St. Mary’s County Historical Society, P. O. Box 212, 41625 Court House Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20657 – 0212, (301) 475-2467
- Saint Mary’s County Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 1109 , Leonardtown, MD 20650-1109
- St. Clement’s Island Heritage Group, 38370 Freeze Rd, Coltons Point 20626
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674
Where can I connect with other St. Mary’s County, MD Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Maryland State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Maryland Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- St. Mary’s County, Maryland Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- St. Mary’s County, Maryland Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in St. Mary’s County, MD?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to St. Mary’s County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is simply a listing that has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another.