Berkeley County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Berkeley County, West Virginia Facts
When was Berkeley County, WV Created?
Berkeley County was established on February 10, 1772 from Frederick County (Virginia).
Berkeley County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Berkeley County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Berkeley County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Berkeley County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- Marriage Records of Berkeley County, Virginia 1781-1854
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Berkeley County, WV Census Records
What Berkeley County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Berkeley County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Berkeley Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berkeley Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Berkeley Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Berkeley County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Berkeley County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Berkeley County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 West King Street, Martinsburg, WV 25401
- Berkeley County Clerk has many duties which include some of the following: the issuance of marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, record births, marriages and deaths in the county, servhttp://www.berkeleycountycomm.org/e as the recorder of all documents, prepare and send to all heirs a Notice to Redeem and take care of publications, redemptions or recording deeds with regard to delinquent property, issue military service discharge records and probate wills and assist in administration of estates.
- Phone: (304) 264-1927
- Birth / Death Records: 1865
- Marriage Records: 1781 (Records Missing for Marriages: 1852-64)
- Land Records: 1772 (Records Missing for Deeds: 1797-98, 1809-11, 1816-17, 1827- 30, 1837-38, 1853-55, 1861-64)
- Probate Records: 1772 (Records Missing for Wills: 1832-36, 1849-52, 1854-60)
- Berkeley County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (304) 264 – 1918
- Court Records: 1772
Berkeley County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Berkeley County, WV?
A list of Berkeley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Berkeley County Historical Society, 36 East Race Street, Martinsburg, W.V. 25401; (304) 267-4713; Postal Address: P.O Box 1624 Martinsburg, W.V. 25402
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Berkeley County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Berkeley County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Berkeley County
- Berkeley County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Berkeley County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Berkeley County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.