Frederick County, Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Frederick County, Virginia Facts
When was Frederick County, VA Created?
Frederick County was established on December 15, 1738 from Orange County.
What counties are adjacent to Frederick County, VA?
Bordering Counties are Clarke County, Warren County, Shenandoah County, Hardy County, West Virginia, Hampshire County, West Virginia, Morgan County, West Virginia, Berkeley County, West Virginia.
Frederick County, VA Vital Records
Where can find Frederick County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Frederick County vital records can be found at the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has Birth and Death Records since June 14, 1912 and copies of Marriage and Divorce Records since 1918 to present. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Frederick County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also order Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for copies of Frederick Co. Virginia Birth, Marriage, Divorce, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
The Archives Division has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896 and marriage records prior to 1936. Another resource is the Frederick / Winchester Health Department, 10 Baker Street, Winchester, VA 22601; Phone: (540) 722-3470
- 1771-1825 Marriages
- 1782-1815 City of Winchester Marriages
- Frederick County Virginia Birth Records, 1855-96
- Frederick County, Virginia, marriages, 1771-1825
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- USGenweb Archives Virginia Marriage Project
- Virginia Births and Christenings, 1853-1917
- Virginia Birth, Marriage, and Death Registers
- Virginia Birth and Marriage (Husband-Wife) Indexes
- Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
- Early Virginia Marriage Records
- Early Virginia Marriage Records – Research Notes Number 26.
- Henley Marriage/Obituary Index to Virginia Newspapers
- Index to Virginia Marriage Records
- Marriage Index for Richmond Enquirer/Richmond Visitor
- Virginia Death Records Indexing Project
- Virginia Death Certificates, 1912-1939
- Virginia Deaths and Burials, 1853-1912
Frederick County, VA Census Records
What Frederick County, VA census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Frederick County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Frederick Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Frederick Co. Industry and Agriculture can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Frederick Co. Union Veterans Schedules is available for 1890. The Slave Schedules exist for 1850 & 1860. One can find free online and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Frederick County, VA Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Frederick County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Frederick County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Virginia Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Frederick County, VA Societies and Family History Resources
What other genealogical resources are available in Frederick County, VA?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Frederick County. A lot of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a fee. This is just a listing which has been compiled or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.