Preston County, West Virginia
Genealogy, History & Facts
Preston County, West Virginia Facts
When was Preston County, WV Created?
Preston County was established on January 19, 1818 from Monongalia County.
What is the County Seat of Preston County, WV?
The County Seat is located in Kingwood and the county government website is http://www.prestoncountywv.org/
What counties are adjacent to Preston County, WV?
Bordering Counties are Fayette County, Pennsylvania, Garrett County, Maryland, Grant County, Tucker County, Barbour County, Taylor County, Monongalia County.
What cities and towns are in Preston County, WV
Cities and towns located in the County include Horse Shoe Run, Howesville, Independence, Israel, Little Sandy, Manheim, Manown, Marquess, Mount Olivet, Mount Vernon, Orr, Pisgah, Pleasantdale, Preston, Rockville, Rodemer, Rohr, Ruthbelle, Saint Joe, Scotch Hill, Sell, Silver Lake, Sinclair, Snider, Stevensburg, Sugar Valley, Threefork Bridge, Turner Douglass, Valley Point, Victoria, West End, White Oak Springs, Zevely, Bruceton Mills, Reedsville, Newburg, Kingwood, Masontown, Rowlesburg, Terra Alta, Albright, Tunnelton, Brandonville , Afton, Alpine Lake, Amboy, Arthurdale, Aurora, Austen, Borgman, Bretz, Cascade, Clifton Mills, Corinth, Cuzzart, Denver, Evansville, Fellowsville, Eglon, Gladefarms, Hazelton, Hopemont, Hopewell
Preston County, WV Vital Records
Where can find Preston County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Preston County vital records can be found at the West Virginia Office of Vital Records which has copies of birth and death records from January 1917 to present; marriage records from 1921 to present and divorce records from 1968 to present. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in West Virginia for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Preston County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for West Virginia Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- USGenweb Archives West Virginia Marriage Project
- Vital Research Records Search Selection
- West Virginia, Births and Christenings, 1853-1928
- West Virginia, Births, 1853-1930
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1853-1970
- West Virginia, Marriages, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths and Burials, 1854-1932
- West Virginia, Deaths, 1853-1970
Preston County, WV Census Records
What Preston County, WV census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Preston County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Preston Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Preston Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Preston Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down-loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also West Virginia Census Records Research Guide
Preston County, WV Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Preston County Courthouse?
The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also West Virginia Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Preston County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 106 W Main St, Kingwood, WV 26537
- Preston County Clerk
- Phone: (304) 329-0070
- Birth / Death Records: 1868
- Marriage Records: 1869
- Land Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1869
- Preston County Clerk of Circuit Court
- Phone: (304) 329-0047
- Court Records: 1881
Preston County, WV Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Preston County, WV?
A list of Preston County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide West Virginia Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Preston County Historical Society, 215 Jackson Street, Kingwood, WV 26537; Phone: (304) 329-1468
- West Virginia Archives and History, The Cultural Center; 1900 Kanawha Boulevard, E.; Charleston, WV 25305-0300
- West Virginia and Regional History Collection, West Virginia University, Colson Hall, Morgantown, West Virginia 26506; (304) 293-3536
- West Virginia Genealogical Society, Post Office Box 249, Elkview, West Virginia 25071
- West Virginia Historical Society, PO Box 5220, Charleston, WV 25361
Where can I connect with other Preston County, WV Researchers through message boards and forums?
- West Virginia State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Preston County, West Virginia Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Preston County
- Preston County, West Virginia Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Preston County, WV?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Preston County. Each of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a list which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.