Jackson County, Missouri
Genealogy and Facts
Jackson County, Missouri genealogy and family tree research page. Discover links to record collections, history, and genealogy sources to assist you to you track your personal Jackson Co. ancestors. Get started by building a Free Family Tree.
Jackson County was created on December 15, 1826 from Lafayette (formally Lillard) County. The county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), U.S. Senator from Tennessee and later President of the United States.
The Jackson County Seat is situated in Kansas City and Independence and in addition the county government website is www.jacksongov.org
Areas surrounding Jackson County include Clay County (north), Ray County (northeast), Lafayette County (east), Johnson County (southeast), Cass County (south), Johnson County, Kansas (southwest), Wyandotte County, Kansas (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Jackson County include Blue Springs, Blue Summit, Buckner, Grain Valley, Grandview, Greenwood, Independence, Kansas City, Lake Lotawana, Lake Tapawingo, Lee's Summit, Levasy, Lone Jack, Oak Grove, Raytown, River Bend, Sibley, Sugar Creek, Unity Village.
Jackson County has Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research.
Jackson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jackson County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2145, 1111 West Pacific Street, Independence, MO 64050; Phone: (816) 252-8128
- Jackson County Historical Society, Nations Bank Building, 129 West Lexington, Independence, MO 64050-3733; Phone: (816) 461-1897
- Union Cemetery Historical Society, 227 East Twenty-eighth Terrace, Kansas City, MO 64108-3277; Phone: (816) 472-4990
- American Family Records Association, P.O. Box 15505, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Kansas City Public Library, Special Collections Department, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106; Phone: (816) 701-3400
- Blue Springs Historical Society, P.O. Box 762, 1015 Southwest Fifteenth Street, Blue Springs, MO 64013-0762; Phone: (816) 224-8979
- Black Archives of Mid-America, 2033 Vine Street, Kansas City, MO 64108; Phone: (816) 483-1300
- Bingham-Waggoner Historical Society, P.O. Box 1163, 313 West Pacific, Independence, MO 64051; Phone: (816) 461-3491
- Chouteau Society, 56 Coventry Court, Prairie Village, KS 6620; Phone: (816) 221-0355
- Kansas City Museum/Science City at Union Station, 3218 Gladstone Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64123; Phone: (816) 483-8300
- Lees Summit Historical Society, 625 Northeast Applewood, Lees Summit, MO 64063; Ph: (816) 524-3367
- Civil War Round Table of Kansas City, 23414 West Fifty-Fourth Street, Shawnee Mission, KS 66226; Phone: (913) 441-6462
- Lone Jack Civil War Battlefield Museum and Soldiers Cemetery, 301 South Bynum Road, Lone Jack, MO 64070; Phone: (816) 566-2272
- Civil War Round Table of the Trans-Mississippi, 2704 Glenwood, Independence, MO 64052; Ph: (816) 461-4776
- Daughters of Old Westport, 5200 Pennsylvania Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64112; Phone: (816) 784-5300
- Civil War Round Table of Western Missouri , 17216 NE 134 Terr, KEARNEY, MO 64060; 816-628-9910
- Alexander Majors Historical Foundation, 8201 State Line Rd, Kansas City, MO 64114; Ph: (816) 333-5556
- Missouri Mormon Frontier Foundation, P.O. Box 3186, Independence, MO 64055; Phone: (816) 228-3512
- Friends of Historic Fort Osage, P.O. Box 195, Sibley, MO 64088; Phone: (816) 650-6370
- Midwest Afro-American Genealogy Interest Coalition (M.A.G.I.C.) , c/o Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center, 3700 Blue Parkway , Kansas City, MO 64137
- Grain Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 414, 506 Main Street, Grain Valley, MO 64029
- Native Sons of Kansas City, P.O. Box 10046; Kansas City, MO 64171; Phone: (816) 962-9397
- Grandview Historical Society, P.O. Box 512, 1205 Jones, Grandview, MO 64030
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library , 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106; Phone: (816) 701-3445
- New Santa Fe Historical Society, 712 West 121st Street , Kansas City, MO 64145; Phone: (816) 942-5033
- Heritage League of Greater Kansas City, 302 Newcomb Hall , University of Missouri-Kansas City, 5100 Rockhill Road , Kansas City, MO 64110-2499; Phone: (816) 235-1543
- Raytown Historical Society & Museum, P.O. Box 16652 , 9705 East Sixty-third Street, Raytown, MO 64133; Phone: (816) 353-5033
- Reorganized Church Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Library-Archives , P.O. Box 1059 , Independence, MO 64051; Phone: (816) 833-1000
- St. Marys Pioneer Historical Society, 923 North Main Street, Independence, MO 64050; Phone: (816) 252-0121
- The Society of the Friends of Missouri Town-1855, P.O. Box 1907, 1040 Northeast Woods Chapel Road, Lees Summit, MO 64063; Phone: (816) 373-9734
- Westport Historical Society, 4000 Baltimore Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64111; Phone: (816) 561-1821
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Jackson County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jackson County
- Jackson County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jackson County
- USGenWeb Archives for Jackson County
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the value of Jackson County court, probate, and land files as a source of family history and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives just about everywhere could be the ambitions and worries of many Missouri residents.
The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a comprehensive record of at least a number of aspects of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other procedures which often can have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
You need to call the clerk's dept to validate hours, mailing address, fees and other facts before visiting or looking for information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are accessible to interested parties, barring private issues. A lot of staff will guide men and women in locating the resources, but it's up to the particular person to complete the research.
The following facts denotes exactly what marriage, birth, death, property, probate, and legal records can be found in Jackson County. The years suggested below are the first known records data with this county.
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 415 E. 12th St., Kansas City, MO 64106
- Jackson County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (816) 881-1576
- Marriage Records: 1827 (including Index to marriage records, 1881-?; Index to marriage records (K.C.), 1881-1937; Marriage records, 1827-1917; Marriage records (K.C.), 1881-1916; Applications for marriage license, 1883-1916; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1882)
- Land Records: 1827 (including Index to deeds, 1828-1891; Deed records, 1827-1909; Patent records, 1832-1898; Index to plats, 1832-?; Plat books, 1832-1899; Map of Jackson County, 1881)
- Jackson County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (816) 881-3412
- Probate Records: 1828 (including Probate records, 1897-1919; Index to administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, (no dates); Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1828-1 955; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1917; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1854-1902; Index to guardian’s! curator’s records, (no dates); Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1871-1898; Judgment docket, 1874-1876; Reference docket, 1905-1924; Records of descendents and heirs, 1901-1914; Partnership records, 1877-1899; Sales of real estate, 1877-1920; Will records, 1828-1925)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1828
- Jackson County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (816) 325-4600
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-95 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1890; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1895; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1890; Register of deaths, 1883-1893; Index to county court records, 1827-1848; County court records, 1827-1848; Bond and commission record, 1861-1872)
- Jackson County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Jackson County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources associated to Jackson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to present your own most liked Jackson County genealogy or family history related sites.
Jackson Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. MO Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records in Missouri
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Web: Jackson County, Missouri, Marriage Index, 2002-2010 (search.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County, Missouri Marriages, 1827-60, Vol. 1 (search.ancestry.com)
- The marriage records of Jackson County, Missouri. (search.ancestry.com)
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935 (familysearch.org)
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Jackson Co. MO Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. MO Census Records
Jackson Co. MO Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jackson Co. MO Church & Bible Records
Jackson Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. MO General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Missouri
- Jackson County, Missouri Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- 175 Years of Jackson County, Missouri, History in a Nutshell (jchs.org)
- Kansas City, Missouri : its history and its people, 1808-1908 (search.ancestry.com)
- Kansas City and Jackson County, Missouri Biographical Record, 1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- A Memorial and biographical record of Kansas City and Jackson County, Mo. (search.ancestry.com)
- Where these rocky bluffs meet : including the story of the Kansas City ten-year plan. (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of Kansas City : together with a sketch of the commercial resources of the country with which it is surrounded (search.ancestry.com)
- Political history of Jackson County : biographical sketches of men who have helped to make it. (search.ancestry.com)
- A civic history of Kansas City, Missouri (search.ancestry.com)
- Reform : metamorphosis of nonpartisan politics in Kansas City, Missouri : with an analysis of the 1959 election (search.ancestry.com)
- The Kansas City annual, 1907 (search.ancestry.com)
- Annals of the city of Kansas : embracing full details of the trade and commerce of the great western plains, together with stat (search.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County, Missouri Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Jackson Co. MO Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Jackson County, Missouri (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Missouri - Counties - Jackson (cyndislist.com)
- Jackson County Missouri (genealogytrails.com)
- Jackson Co. MOGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Jackson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Jackson Co. MO Military Records
Jackson Co. MO Schools & Directories