Jackson County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jackson County, Missouri Facts
When was Jackson County, MO Created?
Jackson County was created on December 15, 1826 from Lafayette (formally Lillard) County. The county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson (1767-1845), U.S. Senator from Tennessee and later President of the United States.
What is the County Seat of Jackson County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Kansas City and Independence and in addition the county government website is www.jacksongov.org
What counties are adjacent to Jackson County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Clay County, Ray County, Lafayette County, Johnson County, Cass County, Johnson County, Kansas, Wyandotte County, Kansas.
What cities and towns are in Jackson County, MO?
Cities and towns located in the County include Blue Springs, Blue Summit, Buckner, Grain Valley, Grandview, Greenwood, Independence, Kansas City, Lake Lotawana, Lake Tapawingo, Lee's Summit, Levasy, Lone Jack, Oak Grove, Raytown, River Bend, Sibley, Sugar Creek, Unity Village.
Jackson County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Jackson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jackson County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jackson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Jackson County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- Web: Jackson County, Missouri, Marriage Index, 2002-2010
- Jackson County, Missouri Marriages, 1827-60, Vol. 1
- The marriage records of Jackson County, Missouri.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri Birth Records, 1851-1910
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Marriages, 1851-1900
- Missouri Marriages, 1766-1983
- Missouri Marriages to 1850
- Missouri Marriages Before 1840
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri, Deaths and Burials Index, 1873-1976
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
- Missouri, Death Records, 1834-1910
- Missouri Still Birth & Miscellaneous Records, 1805-2002
Jackson County, MO Census Records
What Jackson County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jackson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Jackson County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Jackson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jackson County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Jackson County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Jackson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 415 E. 12th St., Kansas City, MO 64106
- Jackson County Recorder of Deeds is the place where all transactions having to do with land are recorded and kept on file. They take marriage license applications, issues marriage licenses, files the license after the marriage, and maintains a permanent record of the marriage, surveys and plats of subdivisions, Armed Forces discharge papers for all veterans who reside in the county. Some naturalization records have been found with the deeds.
- Phone: (816) 881-1576
- Marriage Records: 1827 (including Index to marriage records, 1881-?; Index to marriage records (K.C.), 1881-1937; Marriage records, 1827-1917; Marriage records (K.C.), 1881-1916; Applications for marriage license, 1883-1916; Negro/colored marriage records, 1865-1882)
- Land Records: 1827 (including Index to deeds, 1828-1891; Deed records, 1827-1909; Patent records, 1832-1898; Index to plats, 1832-?; Plat books, 1832-1899; Map of Jackson County, 1881)
- Jackson County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has the direct index to records such as divorces, adoptions, judgment, and tax fee books including direct and indirect indexes. They also retain the index to criminal records and criminal files of the circuit court. Adoptions are under the jurisdiction of the circuit court. Naturalization records, including petitions, declarations of intention, certificates, and certificates of allegiance, and granting of citizenship are also located in the clerk's office, as well as an index to civil case files. The County Probate Division has jurisdiction over the estates of deceased persons. The Division hears all litigation involving trusts, including those trusts established in wills. (In the smaller counties, probate matters are handled in the same office as the associate circuit court office)
- Phone: (816) 881-3412
- Probate Records: 1828 (including Probate records, 1897-1919; Index to administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, (no dates); Administrator’s/executor’s letters, bonds and records, 1828-1 955; Inventories, appraisements and sale bills, 1855-1917; Proof of publication, notices and affidavits, 1854-1902; Index to guardian’s! curator’s records, (no dates); Guardian’s/curator’s records, 1871-1898; Judgment docket, 1874-1876; Reference docket, 1905-1924; Records of descendents and heirs, 1901-1914; Partnership records, 1877-1899; Sales of real estate, 1877-1920; Will records, 1828-1925)
- Court & Divorce Records: 1828
- Jackson County Clerk of the Court has indexes to common pleas, records of all extant proceedings, chancery minute books, records of births and deaths, county court records, right-of-way and road records, as well as surveyor's records (including field notes and plats made by the county surveyor). This office usually holds the county treasurer's notes, bonds and commissions, records of marks and brands, wolf scalps, stray notices, real estate assessments, and tax books. In some counties, early terms for this court included “Chancery” or the “Court of Common Pleas.”
- Phone: (816) 325-4600
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-95 (including Permanent record of births, 1883-1890; Register of births and stillbirths, 1883-1895; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1890; Register of deaths, 1883-1893; Index to county court records, 1827-1848; County court records, 1827-1848; Bond and commission record, 1861-1872)
- Jackson County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Missouri, Jackson County Voter Registration Records, 1928-1956
- Local Records Inventory Database
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 - 1969
- BLM Land Records
Jackson County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jackson County, MO?
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jackson County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2145, 1111 West Pacific Street, Independence, MO 64050; Phone: (816) 252-8128
- Jackson County Historical Society, Nations Bank Building, 129 West Lexington, Independence, MO 64050-3733; Phone: (816) 461-1897
- Union Cemetery Historical Society, 227 East Twenty-eighth Terrace, Kansas City, MO 64108-3277; Phone: (816) 472-4990
- American Family Records Association, P.O. Box 15505, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Kansas City Public Library, Special Collections Department, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106; Phone: (816) 701-3400
- Blue Springs Historical Society, P.O. Box 762, 1015 Southwest Fifteenth Street, Blue Springs, MO 64013-0762; Phone: (816) 224-8979
- Black Archives of Mid-America, 2033 Vine Street, Kansas City, MO 64108; Phone: (816) 483-1300
- Bingham-Waggoner Historical Society, P.O. Box 1163, 313 West Pacific, Independence, MO 64051; Phone: (816) 461-3491
- Chouteau Society, 56 Coventry Court, Prairie Village, KS 6620; Phone: (816) 221-0355
- Kansas City Museum/Science City at Union Station, 3218 Gladstone Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64123; Phone: (816) 483-8300
- Lees Summit Historical Society, 625 Northeast Applewood, Lees Summit, MO 64063; Ph: (816) 524-3367
- Civil War Round Table of Kansas City, 23414 West Fifty-Fourth Street, Shawnee Mission, KS 66226; Phone: (913) 441-6462
- Lone Jack Civil War Battlefield Museum and Soldiers Cemetery, 301 South Bynum Road, Lone Jack, MO 64070; Phone: (816) 566-2272
- Civil War Round Table of the Trans-Mississippi, 2704 Glenwood, Independence, MO 64052; Ph: (816) 461-4776
- Daughters of Old Westport, 5200 Pennsylvania Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64112; Phone: (816) 784-5300
- Civil War Round Table of Western Missouri , 17216 NE 134 Terr, KEARNEY, MO 64060; 816-628-9910
- Alexander Majors Historical Foundation, 8201 State Line Rd, Kansas City, MO 64114; Ph: (816) 333-5556
- Missouri Mormon Frontier Foundation, P.O. Box 3186, Independence, MO 64055; Phone: (816) 228-3512
- Friends of Historic Fort Osage, P.O. Box 195, Sibley, MO 64088; Phone: (816) 650-6370
- Midwest Afro-American Genealogy Interest Coalition (M.A.G.I.C.) , c/o Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center, 3700 Blue Parkway , Kansas City, MO 64137
- Grain Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 414, 506 Main Street, Grain Valley, MO 64029
- Native Sons of Kansas City, P.O. Box 10046; Kansas City, MO 64171; Phone: (816) 962-9397
- Grandview Historical Society, P.O. Box 512, 1205 Jones, Grandview, MO 64030
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library , 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106; Phone: (816) 701-3445
- New Santa Fe Historical Society, 712 West 121st Street , Kansas City, MO 64145; Phone: (816) 942-5033
- Heritage League of Greater Kansas City, 302 Newcomb Hall , University of Missouri-Kansas City, 5100 Rockhill Road , Kansas City, MO 64110-2499; Phone: (816) 235-1543
- Raytown Historical Society & Museum, P.O. Box 16652 , 9705 East Sixty-third Street, Raytown, MO 64133; Phone: (816) 353-5033
- Reorganized Church Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Library-Archives , P.O. Box 1059 , Independence, MO 64051; Phone: (816) 833-1000
- St. Marys Pioneer Historical Society, 923 North Main Street, Independence, MO 64050; Phone: (816) 252-0121
- The Society of the Friends of Missouri Town-1855, P.O. Box 1907, 1040 Northeast Woods Chapel Road, Lees Summit, MO 64063; Phone: (816) 373-9734
- Westport Historical Society, 4000 Baltimore Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64111; Phone: (816) 561-1821
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Jackson County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jackson County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Jackson Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Jackson Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. MO General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Missouri
- Jackson County, Missouri Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- 175 Years of Jackson County, Missouri, History in a Nutshell (jchs.org)
- Kansas City, Missouri : its history and its people, 1808-1908 (search.ancestry.com)
- Kansas City and Jackson County, Missouri Biographical Record, 1896 (search.ancestry.com)
- A Memorial and biographical record of Kansas City and Jackson County, Mo. (search.ancestry.com)
- Where these rocky bluffs meet : including the story of the Kansas City ten-year plan. (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of Kansas City : together with a sketch of the commercial resources of the country with which it is surrounded (search.ancestry.com)
- Political history of Jackson County : biographical sketches of men who have helped to make it. (search.ancestry.com)
- A civic history of Kansas City, Missouri (search.ancestry.com)
- Reform : metamorphosis of nonpartisan politics in Kansas City, Missouri : with an analysis of the 1959 election (search.ancestry.com)
- The Kansas City annual, 1907 (search.ancestry.com)
- Annals of the city of Kansas : embracing full details of the trade and commerce of the great western plains, together with stat (search.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County, Missouri Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Jackson Co. MO Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Jackson County, Missouri (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Missouri - Counties - Jackson (cyndislist.com)
- Jackson County Missouri (genealogytrails.com)
- Jackson Co. MOGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Jackson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Jackson Co. MO Military Records
Jackson Co. MO Schools & Directories