Ray County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Ray County, Missouri Facts
When was Ray County, MO Created?
Ray County was created on November 16, 1820 (effective January 1, 1821) from Howard County.
What is the County Seat of Ray County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Richmond and in addition the county government website is unknown
Ray County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Ray County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Ray County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Ray County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Ray County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Ray County, MO Census Records
What Ray County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Ray County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Ray Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Ray Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ray Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Ray Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Ray County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Ray County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Ray County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Ray County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Ray County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 West Main Street, Richmond, Missouri 64085
- Ray County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 816-776-4500
- Marriage Records: 1820
- Land Records: 1820
- Ray County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (816) 776-3377
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821
- Ray County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (816) 776-4502
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–90
- Ray County, Missouri Marriages (1820-50) and Wills (1824-49)
- Marriage records, 1820-1850, and will records, 1824-1849, of Ray County, Missouri
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Ray County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Ray County, MO?
A list of Ray County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Ray County Genealogical Association, 901 West Royle Str, Richmond, MO 64085; Ph: (816) 776-2305
- The Ray County Museum 901 West Royle Street, Richmond, Missouri 64085
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library , c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Family Tree Climbers, P.O. Box 422, Lawson, MO 64062-0422
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Ray County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Ray County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Ray County
- Ray County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Ray County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Ray County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.