Jackson County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Jackson County, Missouri Facts
When was Jackson County, MO Created?
Jackson County was created on December 15, 1826 from Lafayette (formally Lillard) County.
What is the County Seat of Jackson County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Kansas City and Independence and in addition the county government website is www.jacksongov.org
What counties are adjacent to Jackson County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Clay County, Ray County, Lafayette County, Johnson County, Cass County, Johnson County, Kansas, Wyandotte County, Kansas.
Jackson County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Jackson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jackson County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jackson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Jackson County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- Web: Jackson County, Missouri, Marriage Index, 2002-2010
- Jackson County, Missouri Marriages, 1827-60, Vol. 1
- The marriage records of Jackson County, Missouri.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
Jackson County, MO Census Records
What Jackson County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jackson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880
(free index), 1890
(fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Jackson Co.
Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co.
Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co.
Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Jackson County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
Jackson County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Jackson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jackson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Corthouse Records Research Guide.
Jackson County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Jackson County, MO?
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Jackson County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2145, 1111 West Pacific Street, Independence, MO 64050; Phone: (816) 252-8128
- Jackson County Historical Society, Nations Bank Building, 129 West Lexington, Independence, MO 64050-3733; Phone: (816) 461-1897
- Union Cemetery Historical Society, 227 East Twenty-eighth Terrace, Kansas City, MO 64108-3277; Phone: (816) 472-4990
- American Family Records Association, P.O. Box 15505, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Kansas City Public Library, Special Collections Department, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106; Phone: (816) 701-3400
- Blue Springs Historical Society, P.O. Box 762, 1015 Southwest Fifteenth Street, Blue Springs, MO 64013-0762; Phone: (816) 224-8979
- Black Archives of Mid-America, 2033 Vine Street, Kansas City, MO 64108; Phone: (816) 483-1300
Bingham-Waggoner Historical Society, P.O. Box 1163, 313 West Pacific, Independence, MO 64051; Phone: (816) 461-3491
- Chouteau Society, 56 Coventry Court, Prairie Village, KS 6620; Phone: (816) 221-0355
- Kansas City Museum/Science City at Union Station, 3218 Gladstone Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64123; Phone: (816) 483-8300
- Lees Summit Historical Society, 625 Northeast Applewood, Lees Summit, MO 64063; Ph: (816) 524-3367
- Civil War Round Table of Kansas City, 23414 West Fifty-Fourth Street, Shawnee Mission, KS 66226; Phone: (913) 441-6462
- Lone Jack Civil War Battlefield Museum and Soldiers Cemetery, 301 South Bynum Road, Lone Jack, MO 64070; Phone: (816) 566-2272
- Civil War Round Table of the Trans-Mississippi, 2704 Glenwood, Independence, MO 64052; Ph: (816) 461-4776
- Daughters of Old Westport, 5200 Pennsylvania Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64112; Phone: (816) 784-5300
- Civil War Round Table of Western Missouri , 17216 NE 134 Terr, KEARNEY, MO 64060; 816-628-9910
- Alexander Majors Historical Foundation, 8201 State Line Rd, Kansas City, MO 64114; Ph: (816) 333-5556
- Missouri Mormon Frontier Foundation, P.O. Box 3186, Independence, MO 64055; Phone: (816) 228-3512
- Friends of Historic Fort Osage, P.O. Box 195, Sibley, MO 64088; Phone: (816) 650-6370
- Midwest Afro-American Genealogy Interest Coalition (M.A.G.I.C.) , c/o Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center, 3700 Blue Parkway , Kansas City, MO 64137
- Grain Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 414, 506 Main Street, Grain Valley, MO 64029
- Native Sons of Kansas City, P.O. Box 10046; Kansas City, MO 64171; Phone: (816) 962-9397
- Grandview Historical Society, P.O. Box 512, 1205 Jones, Grandview, MO 64030
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, c/o Kansas City Public Library , 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106; Phone: (816) 701-3445
- New Santa Fe Historical Society, 712 West 121st Street , Kansas City, MO 64145; Phone: (816) 942-5033
- Heritage League of Greater Kansas City, 302 Newcomb Hall , University of Missouri-Kansas City, 5100 Rockhill Road , Kansas City, MO 64110-2499; Phone: (816) 235-1543
- Raytown Historical Society & Museum, P.O. Box 16652 , 9705 East Sixty-third Street, Raytown, MO 64133; Phone: (816) 353-5033
- Reorganized Church Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints Library-Archives , P.O. Box 1059 , Independence, MO 64051; Phone: (816) 833-1000
St. Marys Pioneer Historical Society, 923 North Main Street, Independence, MO 64050; Phone: (816) 252-0121
The Society of the Friends of Missouri Town-1855, P.O. Box 1907, 1040 Northeast Woods Chapel Road, Lees Summit, MO 64063; Phone: (816) 373-9734
- Westport Historical Society, 4000 Baltimore Avenue, Kansas City, MO 64111; Phone: (816) 561-1821
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Jackson County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
What other genealogical resources are available in Jackson County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Jackson Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
Jackson Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. MO General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Missouri
- Jackson County, Missouri Wikipedia
- 175 Years of Jackson County, Missouri, History in a Nutshell
- Kansas City, Missouri : its history and its people, 1808-1908
- Kansas City and Jackson County, Missouri Biographical Record, 1896
- A Memorial and biographical record of Kansas City and Jackson County, Mo.
- Where these rocky bluffs meet : including the story of the Kansas City ten-year plan.
- The history of Kansas City : together with a sketch of the commercial resources of the country with which it is surrounded
- Political history of Jackson County : biographical sketches of men who have helped to make it.
- A civic history of Kansas City, Missouri
- Reform : metamorphosis of nonpartisan politics in Kansas City, Missouri : with an analysis of the 1959 election
- The Kansas City annual, 1907
- Annals of the city of Kansas : embracing full details of the trade and commerce of the great western plains, together with stat
Jackson County, Missouri Wiki
- Jackson Co. MO Genealogy
- Family History Library
- Jackson County, Missouri
- Cyndi's List - United States - Missouri - Counties - Jackson
- Jackson County Missouri
- Jackson Co. MOGenweb
- Jackson County Genealogy Queries
- Jackson Co. Data Collections
Jackson Co. MO Military Records
Jackson Co. MO Schools & Directories