Lafayette County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lafayette County, Missouri Facts
When was Lafayette County, MO Created?
Lafayette County was created on November 16, 1820 (effective January 1, 1821) from Cooper County.
Lafayette County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Lafayette County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lafayette County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lafayette County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Lafayette County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Lafayette County, MO Census Records
What Lafayette County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lafayette County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lafayette Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Lafayette Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lafayette Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Lafayette Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Lafayette County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Lafayette County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Lafayette County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Lafayette County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Lafayette County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 116 S. 10th St., Lexington, MO 64067
- Lafayette County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 660-259-6178
- Marriage Records: 1821
- Land Records: 1820
- Lafayette County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: 660-259-6101
- Probate Records: 1821
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821
- Lafayette County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: (660) 259-4315
- Birth & Death Records: ?
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Lafayette County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lafayette County, MO?
A list of Lafayette County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Lafayette County Historical Society, 101 West Phillips, Lexington, MO 64067
- Concordia Area Heritage Society, P.O. Box 91, 709 South Main, Concordia, MO 64020
- Lexington Historical Association, P.O. Box 121, 112 South Thirteenth Street , Lexington, MO 64067; Phone: (660) 259-6313
- Harvey J. Higgins Historical Society, 2113 Main, Higginsville, MO 64037-1125; Ph: (660) 584-3232
- Wellington-Napoleon Historical Society, , Route1, Box 6, Napoleon, MO 64074; Phone: (816) 934-8351
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library , 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Heart of America Genealogical Society and Library, , c/o Kansas City Public Library, 311 East Twelfth Street, Kansas City, MO 64106
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Lafayette County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lafayette County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lafayette County
- Lafayette County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Lafayette County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lafayette County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.