OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Johnson County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Johnson County, Missouri Facts
When was Johnson County, MO Created?
Johnson County was created on December 13, 1834 from Lafayette (formally Lillard) County.
What is the County Seat of Johnson County, MO?
The County Seat is located in Warrensburg and in addition the county government website is www.jococourthouse.com/
What counties are adjacent to Johnson County, MO?
Bordering Counties are Lafayette County, Pettis County, Henry County, Cass County, Jackson County.
Johnson County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Johnson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Johnson County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Johnson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Johnson County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
- Johnson County, Missouri Marriages: 1862-79
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Missouri Birth & Death Records Database Pre-1910: Search & Record Availability
- Missouri, Births and Christenings, 1827-1935
- Missouri, Marriages, 1750-1920
- Missouri Death Records Database, Pre-1910
- Missouri Death Certificates, 1910 – 1961
- Missouri Deaths and Burials, 1867-1976
Johnson County, MO Census Records
What Johnson County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Johnson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Johnson Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Johnson Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Johnson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Johnson County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Johnson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Johnson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Johnson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Johnson County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 300 N. Holden, Warrensburg, MO 64093
- Johnson County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 660-747-6811
- Marriage Records: 1835
- Land Records: 1832
- Johnson County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: 660-422-7413
- Probate Records: 1835
- Court & Divorce Records: 1835
- Johnson County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 660-747-6161
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-94
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Johnson County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Johnson County, MO?
A list of Johnson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Johnson County Historical Society, P.O. Box 825, 302 N Main Str, Warrensburg, MO 64093; (660) 747-6480
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street , Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032 ; Ph: (660) 747-6264
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Johnson County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Johnson County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Johnson County
- Johnson County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Johnson County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Johnson County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.
Johnson Co. MO Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Missouri Links and Information
- Johnson Co. D.O.T. Map
- 1895 Johnson County Map (livgenmi.com)
Johnson Co. MO Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Missouri Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Missouri historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 – 1922) (genealogybank.com)
- Johnson County, Missouri Books (amazon.com)
- Search Missouri Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com)
Johnson Co. GA Cemeteries & Church Records
- Missouri Cemetery Research Guide
- Johnson Co., Missouri Graves (findagrave.com)
- Johnson County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Johnson Co., Missouri Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Johnson Co., Missouri Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Missouri Church & Bible Research Guide
- Johnson County, Missouri Church Books (amazon.com)
Johnson Co. MO Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- Create a Free Family Tree (ancestry.com)
- Nichols and Related Families (nicholsgenealogy.com)
- The Missouri Family Group Sheet Project (fgs-project.com)
Johnson Co. MO General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Missouri
- Johnson County, Missouri Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- The History of Johnson County, Missouri : including a reliable history of the townships, cities, and towns, together with a map (search.ancestry.com)
- Portrait and biographical record of Johnson and Pettis Counties, Missouri : containing portraits and biographical sketches of p (search.ancestry.com)
- Warrensburg, Mo. (search.ancestry.com)
- Johnson County, Missouri Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Johnson Co. MO Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Johnson County, Missouri (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Missouri – Counties – Johnson (cyndislist.com)
- Johnson County Missouri (genealogytrails.com)
- Johnson Co. MOGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Johnson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Johnson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Johnson Co. MO Military Records
- Missouri Military Records Research Guide
- Search the Soldiers Database: War of 1812-World War I (sos.mo.gov)
- Missouri Military Records (fold3.com)
Johnson Co. MO Schools & Directories
- Missouri State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1881 (search.ancestry.com)