Pettis County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Pettis County, Missouri Facts
Pettis County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Pettis County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Pettis County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Pettis County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Pettis County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Pettis County, MO Census Records
What Pettis County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Pettis County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Pettis Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Pettis Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pettis Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Pettis Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Pettis County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Pettis County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Pettis County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Pettis County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Pettis County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 415 S. Ohio, Sedalia, Missouri 65301
- Pettis County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 660-826-5000 ext 922
- Marriage Records: 1833
- Land Records: 1833
- Pettis County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: (660) 826-5000 ext. 453
- Probate Records: 1833
- Court & Divorce Records: 1833
- Pettis County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 660.826.5000
- Birth & Death Records: 1883–85
- Pettis County, Missouri: Index to the General Probate Index, 1833-1875
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Pettis County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Pettis County, MO?
A list of Pettis County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Pettis County Historical Society, c/o Sedalia Public Library, 311 West Third Street, Sedalia, MO 65301-4399
- Katy Railroad Historical Society , P.O. Box 1784, Sedalia, MO 65301
- State Fair Community College Library, 3201 W 16th Str, Sedalia, MO 65301; Ph: (660) 530-5800
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library, 705 Broad Street, Warrensburg, MO 64093-2032; Phone: (660) 747-6264
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Pettis County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Pettis County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Pettis County
- Pettis County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Pettis County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Pettis County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.