Cooper County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Cooper County, Missouri Facts
When was Cooper County, MO Created?
Cooper County was created on December 17, 1818 from Howard County (effective February 1, 1819).
Cooper County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Cooper County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Cooper County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Cooper County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Cooper County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Cooper County, MO Census Records
What Cooper County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Cooper County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Cooper Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Cooper Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cooper Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Cooper Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Cooper County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Cooper County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Cooper County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Cooper County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Cooper County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 Main Street, Boonville, MO 65233
- Cooper County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 660-882-2161
- Marriage Records: 1819
- Land Records: 1819
- Cooper County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Phone: 660-882-2232
- Probate Records: 1819
- Court & Divorce Records: 1821
- Cooper County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 660-882-2114
- Birth & Death Records: 1883-94
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Cooper County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Cooper County, MO?
A list of Cooper County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Cooper County Historical Society, Box 51, Pilot Grove, MO 65276
- Boonslick Historical Society of Cooper and Howard Counties, 811 7th Street Terrace, Boonville, MO 65233; (660) 882-6370
- William Clarke Quantrill Society, P.O. Box 33, Boonville, MO 65233; Phone: (660) 882-7821
- Friends of Historic Boonville, P.O. Box 1776, 614 East Morgan, Boonville, MO 65233; Phone: (660) 882-7977
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri, P.O. Box 26 3801 Ponderosa , Columbia, MO 65205; Phone: (573) 443-8936
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Cooper County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Cooper County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Cooper County
- Cooper County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Cooper County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Cooper County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.