Morgan County, Missouri
Genealogy, History & Facts
Morgan County, Missouri Facts
When was Morgan County, MO Created?
Morgan County was created on January 5, 1833 from Cooper County.
Morgan County, MO Vital Records
Where can find Morgan County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Morgan County vital records can be found at the Missouri Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records reported from January 1, 1910. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Missouri for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Morgan County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Missouri Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Another resource is the Morgan County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980.
Morgan County, MO Census Records
What Morgan County, MO census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Morgan County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Morgan Co. Slave Schedules is available for 1850 & 1860. Morgan Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Industry and Agriculture can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Morgan Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. There are free down-loadable and printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Missouri Census Records Research Guide
Morgan County, MO Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Morgan County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Morgan County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Missouri courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Missouri residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Morgan County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Missouri Courthouse Records Research Guide.
- Morgan County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 100 E. Newton, Versailles, MO 65084
- Morgan County Recorder of Deeds
- Phone: 573-378-4029
- Marriage Records: 1833
- Land Records: 1837
- Morgan County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk
- Address: Morgan County Justice Center, 211 East Newton, Versailles, MO 65084
- Phone: 573-378-4413
- Probate Records: 1834
- Court & Divorce Records: 1833
- Morgan County Clerk of the Court
- Phone: 573-378-5436
- Birth Records: 1841-63 and 1883-86 only
- Death Records: 1883-86
- State-Issued Land Patents 1831 – 1969
- BLM Land Records
Morgan County, MO Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Morgan County, MO?
A list of Morgan County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Missouri Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Morgan County Historical Society, P.O. Box 181, 202 North Monroe, Versailles, MO 65084; Phone: (573) 378-5530
- Missouri State Archives, Missouri State Information Center; P.O. Box 1747, 600 West Main Str, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri State Library – 600 West Main Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101; (573) 751-4936
- Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 11940, St. Louis 63112-0040
- Missouri State Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 833, Columbia, MO 65205-0833
Where can I connect with other Morgan County, MO Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Missouri Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Missouri State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Morgan County, Missouri Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Morgan County
- Morgan County, Missouri Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Morgan County, MO?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Morgan County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory which has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.