Jackson County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Jackson County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Jackson Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Jackson County was established on February 2, 1858 from Rockcastle County, Owsley County, Madison County, Clay County, Estill County and Laurel County. Currently the county was named in honor of Andrew Jackson, President of the United States (1829–1837) .
Currently the Jackson County Seat is situated in McKee additionally, the county government website is www.jacksoncounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Jackson County happen to be Estill County (north), Lee County (northeast), Owsley County (east), Clay County (southeast), Laurel County (southwest), Rockcastle County (west), Madison County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Jackson County comprise of Annville, McKee, Tyner.
Jackson County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Jackson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Jackson County Public Library, P.O. Box 160, McKee, KY 40447, (606) 287-8113 – Office
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jackson County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Jackson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jackson County
- Jackson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Jackson County
- KYJACKSO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jackson County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- JACKSON-CLAY-OVERTON-CO-TN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jackson, Clay, and/or Overton Counties, Tennessee as well as Smith County, Tennessee which was the parent county and bordering Monroe County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode)
Jackson County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Jackson County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Jackson county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. There was a courthouse fire in 1949.
- Jacksond County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: P.O. Box 339, McKee, KY, 40447
- Phone: (606) 287-4505
- Marriage Records: 1858
- Land Records: 1858
- Probate Records: 1859
- Jackson County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Jackson County Judicial Center, 100 First St., P.O. Box 84, McKee, KY 40447-0084
- Phone: (606) 287-7783
- Court Records: 1858
- Jackson County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Jackson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Jackson County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Jackson Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Jackson Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Jackson Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Jackson Co. KY Census Records
Jackson Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Jackson Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Jackson Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Jackson Co. KY General and History Websites
Jackson Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Jackson Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Jackson Co. KY Military Records