Lee County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Lee County, Kentucky Facts
When was Lee County, KY Created?
Lee County was created on March 1, 1870 from Owsley County, Breathitt County, Wolfe County and Estill County. Currently the county was named in honor of Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, Revolutionary War hero and Governor of Virginia .
What is the County Seat of Lee County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Beattyville additionally, the county government website is www.leecounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Lee County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Powell County (north), Wolfe County (northeast), Breathitt County (southeast), Owsley County (south), Jackson County (southwest), Estill County (northwest).
What cities and towns are in Lee County, KY?
Cities and towns located in the County include Beattyville.
Lee County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Lee County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Lee County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Lee County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Lee County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Lee County, KY Census Records
What Lee County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Lee County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Lee Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Lee Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1870 and 1880. Lee Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Lee County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Lee County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Lee County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Lee County. The years listed below are the first noted records with this county. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
PLEASE READ FIRST!!! Please call the clerk's department to confirm hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics before visiting or requesting information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring private issues. Many staff will guide individuals in locating the materials, however it's up to the person to carry out the research.
- Lee County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 256 Main St., Beattyville, KY, 41311
- Phone: (606) 464-4102
- Marriage Records: 1870
- Land Records: 1870
- Probate Records: 1870
- Lee County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Lee County Courthouse, 256 Main St., P.O. Box E, Beattyville, KY 41311-2005
- Phone: (606) 464-8400
- Court Records: 1870
- Lee County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Lee County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Lee County USGenWeb Archives Project
Lee County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Lee County, KY?
A list of Lee County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Lee County Historical & Genealogical Society, PO Box V, Beattyville, KY 41311
Where can I connect with other Lee County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Lee County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Lee County
- Lee County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYLEE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Lee County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Lee County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Lee County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Lee Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Lee Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Lee Co. KY General and History Websites
Lee Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Lee Co. KY Military Records