OTHER GENEALOGY RESOURCES
Jackson County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
County Vital Records ∣ County Census Records ∣ County Courthouse and Government Records ∣
County Societies, Family History Resources and County Genealogy Links
Jackson County, Kentucky Facts
When was Jackson County, KY Created?
Jackson County was created on February 2, 1858 from Rockcastle County, Owsley County, Madison County, Clay County, Estill County and Laurel County.
What is the County Seat of Jackson County, KY?
The County Seat is located in McKee additionally, the county government website is www.jacksoncounty.ky.gov
What counties are adjacent to Jackson County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Estill County, Lee County, Owsley County, Clay County, Laurel County, Rockcastle County, Madison County.
Jackson County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Jackson County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Jackson County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Jackson County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Jackson County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index – The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Jackson County, KY Census Records
What Jackson County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Jackson County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Jackson Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1860. Jackson Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1860, 1870 and 1880. Jackson Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Jackson County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Jackson County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Jackson County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Jackson County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Jacksond County Clerk
- Address: P.O. Box 339, McKee, KY, 40447
- Phone: (606) 287-4505
- Marriage Records: 1858
- Land Records: 1858
- Probate Records: 1859
- Jackson County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Jackson County Judicial Center, 100 First St., P.O. Box 84, McKee, KY 40447-0084
- Phone: (606) 287-7783
- Court Records: 1858
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Jackson County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Jackson County USGenWeb Archives Project
Jackson County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Jackson County Public Library, P.O. Box 160, McKee, KY 40447, (606) 287-8113 – Office
Where can I connect with other Jackson County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Jackson County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Jackson County
- Jackson County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYJACKSO. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jackson County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- JACKSON-CLAY-OVERTON-CO-TN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jackson, Clay, and/or Overton Counties, Tennessee as well as Smith County, Tennessee which was the parent county and bordering Monroe County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send “subscribe” to [email protected] (mail mode) or [email protected] (digest mode)
What other genealogical resources are available in Jackson County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Jackson County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Commercial Sites, Personal Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is just a list that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite genealogy or family history related sites.
Jackson Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Kentucky Newspapers Books & Publications Research Guide
- Kentucky historical newspaper archives online (newspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Kentucky (1794-1922) (genealogybank.com)
- Jackson County, Kentucky Books (amazon.com)
- Search Kentucky Obituaries (1984 to current) (genealogybank.com)
- Jackson County Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Jackson Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
- Jackson Co., Kentucky Graves (findagrave.com)
- Jackson County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Jackson Co., Kentucky Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Jackson Co., Kentucky Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Jackson County, Kentucky Church Books (amazon.com)
Jackson Co. KY General and History Websites
- Jackson County Kentucky (genealogytrails.com)
- Jackson County, KY History (kyenc.org) The Kentucky Encyclopedia
- Jackson County, Kentucky Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Jackson County, Kentucky Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Jackson Co. KY Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Jackson County, Kentucky (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Kentucky – Counties – Jackson (cyndislist.com)
- Jackson Co. KYGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Jackson County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Jackson Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Jackson Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
- See Also Map of Kentucky Links and Information
- Jackson Co. D.O.T. 2011 Highway Map (transportation.ky.gov)
- 1895 Jackson County Map (livgenmi.com)
Jackson Co. KY Military Records
- Kentucky Military Records Research Guide
- Kentucky Military Records (Fold3.com) delivers access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Pennsylvania individuals who served. Perfect for Jackson County genealogists, researchers, historians and a lot more.