Clay County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Clay County, Kentucky Facts
Clay County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Clay County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Clay County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clay County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Clay County, KY Census Records
What Clay County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Clay County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clay Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Clay Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clay Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clay Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Clay County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Clay County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Clay County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clay County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Clayd County Clerk
- Address: 102 Richmond Rd., Manchester, KY, 40962
- Phone: (606) 599-0603
- Marriage Records: 1807
- Land Records: 1799
- Probate Records: 1830
- Clay County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Clay County Justice Center, 316 Main St., Suite 108, Manchester, KY 40962
- Phone: (606) 598-3663
- Court Records: 1809
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Clay County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Clay County USGenWeb Archives Project
Clay County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Clay County, KY?
A list of Clay County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Clay County Genealogical and Historical Society, Courthouse Hill, Manchester, KY 40962; 606-598-5507
- Clay County Public Library, 211 Bridge Street, Manchester, KY 40962-1203; (606) 598-2617
Where can I connect with other Clay County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clay County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clay County
- Clay County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYCLAY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Clay County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Clay County KYGenWeb site. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- JACKSON-CLAY-OVERTON-CO-TN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jackson, Clay, and/or Overton Counties, Tennessee as well as Smith County, Tennessee which was the parent county and bordering Monroe County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send “subscribe” to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- southeasternkentuckyroots. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Perry County, Kentucky, cemeteries and southeastern Kentucky genealogy (e.g., Perry, Knott, Clay, and Clark Counties). You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southeasternkentuckyroots/ or by sending the following to southeasternkentuckyroots-subscribe@yahoogroup s.com: subscribe
What other genealogical resources are available in Clay County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clay County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.