Knox County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Knox County, Kentucky Facts
When was Knox County, KY Created?
Knox County was created on December 19, 1799 from Lincoln County.
What is the County Seat of Knox County, KY?
The County Seat is located in Barbourville additionally, the county government website is www.knoxcountyky.com
What counties are adjacent to Knox County, KY?
Bordering Counties are Clay County, Bell County, Whitley County, Laurel County.
Knox County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Knox County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Knox County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Knox County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
- U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
- Social Security Death Index
- Knox County, Kentucky Marriage Project
- Kentucky Vital Records Index - The vital records index data was obtained from the Kentucky Office of Vital Statistics in 1994 for a research project.
- Kentucky Social Security Death Index
- Kentucky Vital Records Project
- Kentucky, Births and Christenings, 1839-1960
- Kentucky Birth Records, 1852-1910
- Kentucky Birth Index, 1911-1999
- Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979
- Kentucky, County Marriages, 1797-1954
- Kentucky Marriage Index, 1973-1999
- Kentucky Marriage Records, 1852-1914
- Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
- Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850
- Northern Kentucky Marriages, 1795-1850
- Kentucky Marriage Records
- Kentucky Marriages, 1797-1865
- Kentucky, Death Records, 1911-1955
- Kentucky Death Records, 1852-1953
- Kentucky Death Index, 1911-2000
- Kentucky Obituaries, 1787-1854
- Kentucky Deaths and Burials, 1843-1970
Knox County, KY Census Records
What Knox County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Knox County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Knox Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Knox Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Knox Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Knox Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Knox County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
Knox County Courthouse
What genealogical records can I find in the Knox County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Knox County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Knox County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Knox County Clerk
- Address: 401 Court Square, Ste.102, Barbourville, KY, 40906
- Phone: (606) 546-3589
- Marriage Records: 1800
- Land Records: 1800
- Probate Records: 1803
- Knox County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Knox County Courthouse Annex, 401 Court Square, P.O. Box 760, Barbourville, KY 40906-0760
- Phone: (606) 546-3075
- Court Records: 1800
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Knox County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Inventory of the county archives of Kentucky: Knox County
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Knox County USGenWeb Archives Project
Knox County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Knox County, KY?
A list of Knox County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Knox County Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 528, Barbourville, KY 40906
- Knox County Genealogical Society, 2603 Aintree Way, Louisville KY 40220
- Knox County Historical Museum, P.O. Box 1446, Barbourville Municipal Building, 196 Daniel Boone Drive, Barbourville KY 40906; 606-546-4300
- Corbin Genealogical Society,
P.O. Box 353,
Corbin KY 40701;
Covering Knox, Laurel & Whitley counties
Where can I connect with other Knox County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Knox County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Knox County
- Knox County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYKNOX. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Knox County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- KnoxCountyKy. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Knox County, Kentucky. You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/knoxcountyky/ or by sending the following to email@example.com: subscribe
- CUMBERLAND-RIVER. This mailing list is for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Cumberland River region of Southeast Kentucky. This includes the counties of Whitley, Wayne, Pulaski, Knox, and McCreary. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
What other genealogical resources are available in Knox County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Knox County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.
Knox Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Knox Co. KY Church / Bible Records & Cemeteries / Graveyards
Knox Co. KY General and History Websites
Knox Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Knox Co. KY Military Records