Whitley County, Kentucky
Genealogy, History & Facts
Whitley County, Kentucky Facts
When was Whitley County, KY Created?
Whitley County was created on January 17, 1818 from Knox County.
Whitley County, KY Vital Records
Where can find Whitley County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Whitley County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 – present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Whitley County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
The Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives contains birth and death records for the cities of Louisville, Lexington, Covington and Newport, which introduced records laws before 1911. The Archives also offers birth and death records before to 1911 and 1911-1957 death records for the entire state.
Whitley County, KY Census Records
What Whitley County, KY census records are available?
There are many types of census records for Whitley County guide you in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Whitley Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Whitley Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Whitley Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Whitley Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms to help you with your research. See Also Kentucky Census Records Research Guide
Whitley County, KY Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Whitley County Courthouse?
Researchers frequently overlook the great importance of Whitley County court, probate, and land records data as a useful resource of ancestry and genealogy information. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Kentucky residents.
The possibilities are excellent that your forefathers have left a comprehensive document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Whitley County court records. Even if your forebears is not referred to in a Court case, contemplate all of the other procedures that could have lead to him or her to appear in court records. See Also Kentucky Corthouse Records Research Guide.
- Whitley County Clerk
- Address: Main St., Williamsburg, KY, 40769
- Phone: (606) 549-6002
- Marriage Records: 1818
- Land Records: 1818
- Probate Records: 1818
- Whitley County Clerk of the Circuit Court
- Address: Whitley County Judicial Center, 100 Main St., P.O. Box 329, Williamsburg, KY 40769-0329
- Phone: (606) 549-2973 ; (606) 549-5162
- Court Records: 1818
- Kentucky, Wills and Probate Records, 1774-1989
- Whitley County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Will/Probate Record Request Form
- BLM Land Records
- Whitley County USGenWeb Archives Project
Whitley County, KY Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Whitley County, KY?
A list of Whitley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives. See also list of Statewide Kentucky Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies.
- Kentucky Department for Libraries & Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601; (502) 564-8300;
- University of Kentucky Libraries, William T. Young Library, Lexington, KY 40506-0456
- The Kentucky Historical Society, 100 W. Broadway, Frankfort, KY 40601; 877-444-7867
- The Kentucky Genealogical Society, PO Box 153, Frankfort, KY 40602-0153
- Whitley County Historical & Genealogical Society, Old Williamsburg Depot, 529 Main Street, Williamsburg, KY; Call 606-549-7089
- Whitley County Historical Genealogy Society/Museum, P.O. Box 536, Williamsburg, Ky. 40769; phone no. 606-549-7089
- Corbin Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 353, Corbin KY 40701; Covering Knox, Laurel & Whitley counties
Where can I connect with other Whitley County, KY Researchers through message boards and forums?
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Whitley County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Whitley County
- Whitley County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- KYWHITLE. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Whitley County, Kentucky. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- CUMBERLAND-RIVER. This mailing list is for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in the Cumberland River region of Southeast Kentucky. This includes the counties of Whitley, Wayne, Pulaski, Knox, and McCreary. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who’s ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send “subscribe” to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
What other genealogical resources are available in Whitley County, KY?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Whitley County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another.