Estill County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Estill County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Estill Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Estill County was established on February 19, 1808 from Clark County and Madison County. Currently the county was named in honor of James Estill (1750–1782), military captain killed at the Battle of Little Mountain.
Currently the Estill County Seat is situated in Irvine additionally, the county government website is www.estillky.com
Locations adjacent to Estill County happen to be Clark County (north), Powell County (northeast), Lee County (southeast), Jackson County (south), Madison County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Estill County comprise of Irvine, Ravenna.
Estill County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Estill Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Estill Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Estill Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Estill Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Estill County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Estill County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Estill County Historical & Genealogical Society, 133/135 Broadway, Irvine KY 40336
- ESTILLKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical or historical interest in Estill County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- CENTRAL-KY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Central Kentucky including Boyle, Bullitt, Casey, Clark, Estill, Garrard, Hardin, Jackson, Jessamine, LaRue, Lincoln, Marion, Nelson, Russell, Taylor, and Powell Counties. The list also covers any central Kentucky area if the county is unknown. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Estill County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Estill County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Estill County
- Estill County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Estill County
Estill County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Estill County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Estill County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Estill county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. Soldiers either set fire to the courthouse or the jail (depending on the source) in Oct 1864. In any case, the courthouse collapsed in 1865.
- Estilld County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 130 Main St., Irvine, KY, 40336
- Phone: (606) 723-5156
- Marriage Records: 1808
- Land Records: 1808
- Probate Records: 1808
- Estill County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Estill County Courthouse, 130 Main St., Irvine, KY 40336
- Phone: (606) 723-3970
- Court Records: 1808
- Estill County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Estill County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Estill County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Estill County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Estill County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Estill Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Estill Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Estill Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Estill Co. KY Census Records
Estill Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Estill Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Estill Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Estill Co. KY General and History Websites
Estill Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Estill Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Estill Co. KY Military Records