Owsley County, Kentucky
Genealogy and Facts
Owsley County, Kentucky family history and genealogy research page. Uncover links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to assist you to you find your personal Owsley Co., ancestors. Learn how to start by putting together a Free Family Tree.
Owsley County was established on January 23, 1843 from Clay County, Estill County and Breathitt County. Currently the county was named in honor of William Owsley, Kentucky Secretary of State and later Governor of Kentucky (1844–1848) .
Currently the Owsley County Seat is situated in Booneville additionally, the county government website is www.owsleycountykentucky.org
Locations adjacent to Owsley County happen to be Lee County (north), Breathitt County (east), Perry County (southeast), Clay County (south), Jackson County (west).
Cities and towns to be found in Owsley County comprise of Booneville.
Owsley County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Owsley Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Owsley Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Owsley Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Owsley Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Owsley County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Owsley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- The Owsley County History and Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 976, Booneville, Ky, 41314
- The Owsley County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1166, Booneville, Ky. 41314; phone 606-593-6755; Office Hours: 11-4 Thursday and Friday
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Owsley County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Owsley County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Owsley County
- Owsley County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Owsley County
- KYOWSLEY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Owsley County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to email@example.com (mail mode) or firstname.lastname@example.org (digest mode)
Owsley County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Owsley County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Owsley County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Owsley county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. In Jan 1929 and again on 5 Jan 1967, there were courthouse fires. In the 1929 fire, all records were destroyed.
- Owsleyd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: Main St., Booneville, KY, 41314
- Phone: (606) 593-5735
- Marriage Records: 1852
- Land Records: 1844
- Probate Records: 1930
- Owsley County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Owsley County Courthouse, 1 N. Court St., P.O. Box 130, Booneville, KY 41314-0130
- Phone: (606) 593-6226
- Court Records: 1923 (This is the date of the earliest existing record. Records are not on microfilm)
- Owsley County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Owsley County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
- Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information on Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
Owsley County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Owsley County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Owsley County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Owsley Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Owsley Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Owsley Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Owsley Co. KY Census Records
Owsley Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Owsley Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Owsley Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Owsley Co. KY General and History Websites
Owsley Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Owsley Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Owsley Co. KY Military Records