Clay County was established on April 1, 1807 from Madison County, Floyd County and Knox County. Currently the county was named in honor of Green Clay (1757–1828), Revolutionary War general and western surveyor .
Currently the Clay County Seat is situated in Manchester additionally, the county government website is www.claycounty.ky.gov
Locations adjacent to Clay County happen to be Owsley County (north), Perry County (northeast), Leslie County (east), Bell County (southeast), Knox County (southwest), Laurel County (west), Jackson County (northwest).
Cities and towns to be found in Clay County comprise of Manchester, Oneida, Burning Springs, Goose Rock.
Clay County vital records can be found at the Kentucky Department of Health (VDH) Office of Vital Records which has copies for of birth & deathe certificates (1911 - present), marriage licenses & divorce decrees (since June 1958). There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Kentucky for current fees and application process.
You can search online for Clay County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or you can download an application for Birth Certificate, Marriage / Divorce Certificate or Death Certificates to mail.
Clay County consists of Federal Census Schedules to guide in researching your family tree. Government Population Schedules are present for 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Clay Co. Slave Schedules can be obtained for 1850 & 1860. Clay Co. Mortality Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clay Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Clay Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. One can find free down loadable and also printable census forms that can help with your research.
Clay County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Clay County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Kentucky (raogk.org)
- Kentucky Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Clay County Genealogical and Historical Society, Courthouse Hill, Manchester, KY 40962; 606-598-5507
- Clay County Public Library, 211 Bridge Street, Manchester, KY 40962-1203; (606) 598-2617
- KYCLAY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Clay County, Kentucky. Interested individuals may want to check out the Clay County KYGenWeb site. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- EASTERNKENTUCKY. A mailing list for all researchers who's ancestors settled in or traveled through the state of Kentucky. Some of the counties covered are Bell, Boyd, Breathitt, Carter, Clay, Elliot, Estill, Floyd, Greenup, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Magoffin, Morgan, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Rowan, Whitley, Wolfe, and adjacent counties that represent the East Kentucky Coalfields. Additional information can be found on the East Kentucky Genealogy website. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- JACKSON-CLAY-OVERTON-CO-TN. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Jackson, Clay, and/or Overton Counties, Tennessee as well as Smith County, Tennessee which was the parent county and bordering Monroe County, Kentucky. To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- SE-KENTUCKY. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in the Kentucky counties that border Tennessee, West Virginia and Virginia, and surrounding south eastern Kentucky counties (i.e., Whitley, Knox, Bell, Harlan, Clay, Leslie, Perry, Letcher, Knott, Breathitt, Pike, Floyd, Martin, Johnson, Morgan, Lawrence). To subscribe send "subscribe" to firstname.lastname@example.org (mail mode) or email@example.com (digest mode).
- southeasternkentuckyroots. A mailing list for anyone with a genealogical interest in Perry County, Kentucky, cemeteries and southeastern Kentucky genealogy (e.g., Perry, Knott, Clay, and Clark Counties). You can subscribe from http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southeasternkentuckyroots/ or by sending the following to southeasternkentuckyroots-subscribe@yahoogroup s.com: subscribe
- Kentucky State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Clay County USGenWeb Archives Project (usgwarchives.net)
- Clay County, Kentucky Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Clay County
- Clay County, Kentucky Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Clay County
Clay County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the advantages of Clay County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical information and facts. Buried away in Kentucky courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many Kentucky citizens.
The odds are great that your chosen ancestors have left a detailed record of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Clay County court records. Even if your forefathers is not brought up in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which may have lead to her or him to appear in court records.
Please make sure to speak to the clerk's dept to affirm hours, mailing address, fees and other particulars in advance of visiting or inquiring about information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The files are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. A lot of staff will help people in locating the materials, however it is up to the individual to do the researching.
The following facts indicates what death, marriage, birth, land, probate, and legal records are located in Clay county. The dates indicated below are the first known records for each county. On 20 Jan 1936, there was a courthouse fire.
- Clayd County Clerk has three main responsibilities. One is the recording of Land records (the most common documents recorded are deeds, mortgage releases,
entries, warrants, surveys, mortgages, assignments, and indexes), Probate records (may include such documents as wills, estates, letters of administration, administrators, executors, probate journals, probate packets,
inventories, settlements, sales, accounts, guardianship, orphans,
insolvent estates, bastardy, apprentices, insanity and adoptions) and Marriage Liscenses
- Address: 102 Richmond Rd., Manchester, KY, 40962
- Phone: (606) 599-0603
- Marriage Records: 1807
- Land Records: 1799
- Probate Records: 1830
- Clay County Clerk of the Circuit Court has countywide jurisdiction over major civil and criminal cases, divorces, and appeals from inferior courts.
- Address: Clay County Justice Center, 316 Main St., Suite 108, Manchester, KY 40962
- Phone: (606) 598-3663
- Court Records: 1809
- Clay County Tax Information and Contacts. Some early tax schedules list watercourse, value and acreage of real estate, men over age twenty-one, young men between the ages of sixteen and twenty-one, slaves, and horses.
- Clay County Elected Officials (ky.gov)
Clay County Links
The following are links to Genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Clay County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is basically a collection that has been gathered or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to submit your own preferred Clay County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Clay Co. KY Books, Newspapers & Publications
Clay Co. KY Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Clay Co. KY Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Clay Co. KY Census Records
Clay Co. KY Cemeteries & Graveyards
Clay Co. KY Church & Bible Records
Clay Co. KY Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Clay Co. KY General and History Websites
Clay Co. KY Immigration & Naturalization
Clay Co. KY Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Clay Co. KY Military Records