Orleans County, Vermont
Orleans County was created on November 5, 1792 from part of Chittenden County and Orange County.
Places adjacent to Orleans County are Essex County, Caledonia County, Lamoille County, Franklin County, Brome-Missisquoi Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Memphrémagog Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Coaticook Regional County Municipality, Quebec.
Orleans County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Orleans County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Orleans County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orleans Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orleans Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Orleans County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Orleans County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Vermont (raogk.org)
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Albany Historical Society, PO Box 317, Albany, VT 05820; Phone: (802) 755-6105
- Charleston Historical Society, PO Box 46, East Charleston, VT 05833; Phone: (802) 723-4833
- Craftsbury Historical Society, 258 The Ledges, Craftsbury, VT 05826; Phone: (802) 586-2825
- Crystal Lake Falls Historical Association, PO Box 253, Pierce House, 97 Water Street, Barton, VT 05822 ; Phone: (802) 525-3703
- Derby Historical Society, PO Box 357, Derby, VT 05829 ; Phone: (802) 766-5324
- Glover Historical Society, PO Box 208, Glover, Vt 05839; Phone: (802) 525-6212 or (802) 525-6227 (town clerk)
- Greensboro Historical Society, PO Box 151, Greensboro, VT 05841 ; Phone: (802) 586-6913
- Holland Historical Society, PO Box 483, Derby Line, VT 05830; Phone: (802) 766-5375
- Lowell Historical Society, 2170 VT Rte 100, Lowell, VT 05847; Phone: (802) 744-6559 or (802) 744-6859
- Memphremagog Historical Society of Newport, 96 Stagecoach Drive, Newport, VT 05855; Phone: (802) 334-6195
- Missisquoi Valley Historical Society, PO Box 237, North Troy, VT 05859; Phone: (802) 988-2397
- Morgan Historical Society, PO Box 113, Morgan, VT 05853; Phone: (802) 723-5907
- Orleans County Historical Society, 109 Old Stone House Road, Brownington, VT 05860 ; Phone: (802) 754-2022
- Westfield Historical Society, 69 Fuller Road, Westfield, VT 05847
- Orleans County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Orleans County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Orleans County (usgwarchives.net)
Orleans County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Orleans County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Orleans County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Orleans County Courthouse, 247 Main St, Newport, VT 05855; (802) 334-3344, has Land Records from 1799–1849 (county only) and Probate Records from 1796 to present.
- Albany Town Clerk, P.O. Box 284, Albany, VT 05820 ; Phone: (802)755-6100
- Barton Town Clerk, P. O. Box 657, Barton, VT 05822 ; Phone: (802)525-6222
- Brownington Town Clerk, 509 Dutton Brook Lane, Brownington, VT 05860 ; Phone: (802)754-8401
- Charleston Town Clerk, 5063 Vt. Rte. 105, W. Charleston, VT 05872 ; Phone: (802)895-2814
- Coventry Town Clerk, P.O. Box 104, Coventry, VT 05825 ; Phone: (802)754-2288
- Craftsbury Town Clerk, P.O. Box 55, Craftsbury, VT 05826 ; Phone: (802)586-2823
- Derby Town Clerk, P.O. Box 25, Derby, VT 05829 ; Phone: (802)766-4906
- Glover Town Clerk, 51 Bean Hill, Glover, VT 05839 ; Phone: (802)525-6227
- Greensboro Town Clerk, P.O. Box 119, Greensboro, VT 05841 ; Phone: (802)533-2911
- Holland Town Clerk, 120 School Road - Holland, Derby Line, VT 05830-8961; Phone: (802)895-4440
- Irasburg Town Clerk, P.O. Box 51, Irasburg, VT 05845 ; Phone: (802)754-2242
- Jay Town Clerk, 1036 VT RTE 242, Jay, VT 05859 ; Phone: (802)988-2996
- Lowell Town Clerk, 2170 VT Rt. 100, Lowell, VT 05847 ; Phone: (802)744-6559
- Morgan Town Clerk, P.O. Box 45, Morgan, VT 05853 ; Phone: (802)895-2927
- Newport City, 222 Main Street, Newport, VT 05855 ; Phone: (802)334-2112
- Newport Town, P. O. Box 85, Newport Center, VT 05857 ; Phone: (802)334-6442
- Troy Town Clerk, P.O. Box 80, North Troy, VT 05859 ; Phone: (802)988-2663
- Westfield Town Clerk, 1257 VT Rt. 100, Westfield, VT 05874 ; Phone: (802)744-2484
- Westmore Town Clerk, 54 Hinton Hill Road, Orleans, VT 05860 ; Phone: (802)525-3007
Orleans County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Orleans County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Orleans County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Orleans Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orleans Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Vermont Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Orleans Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Vermont Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns.
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 10, Orleans County, vol. i, town of Albany (search.ancestry.com)
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 10, Orleans County, vol. v, town of Covnetry (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Orleans Co. VT Census Records
Orleans Co. VT Cemeteries & Church Records
Orleans Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orleans Co. VT General and History Websites
Orleans Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orleans Co. VT Military Records
- Vermont Military Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Vermont, Enrolled Militia Records, 1861-1867 (familysearch.org) Index and images of Vermont enrolled militia records that identify thousands of young men who served in the military or who were eligible for service. Includes some corrected entries.
- Vermont Military Records (fold3.com) gives easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the Vermont men and women which served. Great for Orleans County genealogists, researchers, historians and much more.
Orleans Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Gazetteer and business directory of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, Vt., for 1883-84 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.