Franklin County was created on November 5, 1792 from part of Chittenden County.
Places adjacent to Franklin County are Orleans County, Lamoille County, Chittenden County, Grand Isle County, Brome-Missisquoi Regional County Municipality, Quebec.
Franklin County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Franklin County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Franklin County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880, 1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Franklin Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Franklin Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Franklin County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Franklin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bakersfield Historical Society, PO Box 70, Bakersfield, VT 05441; Phone: (802) 827-6125
- Berkshire Historical Society, 2520 Richford Road, Richford, VT 05476; Phone: (802) 848-3459
- Enosburgh Historical Society, PO Box 98, 239 Main Street, Enosburg Falls, VT 05450; Phone:(802) 933-4421
- Fairfax Historical Society, PO Box 145, Fairfax, VT 05454; Phone: (802) 849-6638
- Fairfield Historical Society, PO Box 5, Fairfield, VT 05455; Phone: (802) 309-5076
- Franklin Historical Society, Log Cabin Museum, Hanna Road, Franklin, VT ; 802) 285-6472
- Georgia Historical Society, PO Box 2072, Georgia, VT 05468; Phone: (802) 527-9704
- Highgate Historical Society, PO Box 222, Highgate Center, VT 05459; Phone: (802) 868-4619
- Montgomery Historical Society, PO Box 47, Montgomery, VT 05470
- Richford Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 606, Richford, VT 05476; Phone: (802) 933-6622
- Saint Albans Historical Society, PO Box 722, Saint Albans, VT 05478; Phone: (802) 527-7933
- Swanton Historical Society, P.O. Box 235, Swanton, VT 05488; Phone: (802) 868-3892
- Franklin County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Franklin County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Franklin County (usgwarchives.net)
Franklin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Franklin County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Franklin County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Franklin County Courthouse, 17 Church St, St Albans, VT 05478; (802) 524-3863
- Bakersfield Town Clerk, P.O. Box 203, Bakersfield, VT 05441-0203; Phone: (802)827-4495
- Berkshire Town Clerk, 4454 Watertower Road, Enosburg Falls, VT 05450 ; Phone: (802)933-2335
- Enosburgh Town Clerk, P.O. Box 465, Enosburg Falls, VT 05450 ; Phone: (802)933-4421
- Fairfax Town Clerk, P.O. Box 27, Fairfax, VT 05454 ; Phone: (802)849-6111
- Fairfield Town Clerk, P.O. Box 5, Fairfield, VT 05455 ; Phone: (802)827-3261
- Fletcher Town Clerk, 215 Cambridge Road, Cambridge, VT 05444 ; Phone: (802)849-6616
- Franklin Town Clerk, P.O. Box 82, Franklin, VT 05457 ; Phone: (802)285-2101
- Georgia Town Clerk, 47 Town Common Road, North, St., Albans, VT 05478 ; Phone: (802)524-3524
- Highgate Town Clerk, P.O. Box 67, Highgate Center, VT 05459 ; Phone: (802)868-4697
- Montgomery Town Clerk, P.O. Box 356, Montgomery Center, VT 05471 ; Phone: (802)326-4719
- Richford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 236, Richford, VT 05476-0236; Phone: (802)848-7751
- Saint Albans City, P.O. Box 867, St., Albans, VT 05478-0867; Phone: (802)524-1501
- Saint Albans Town, P.O. Box 37, St., Albans Bay, VT 05481 ; Phone: (802)524-2415
- Sheldon Town Clerk, P.O. Box 66, Sheldon, VT 05483 ; Phone: (802)933-2524
- Swanton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 428, Swanton, VT 05488 ; Phone: (802)868-4421
Franklin County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Franklin County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Franklin County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Franklin Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Franklin Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Vermont Vital Records Research Guide
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Franklin Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Vermont Court Records Research Guide
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 6, Franklin County. (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns.
- Vermont, Franklin County Probate Records, 1796-1921 (familysearch.org) Images of probate papers located at the Public Records Office, General Service Center, Middlesex. This collection is being published as images become available.
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Franklin Co. VT Census Records
Franklin Co. VT Cemeteries & Church Records
- Vermont Cemetery Research Guide
- Franklin Co., Vermont Graves (findagrave.com)
- Franklin County Tombstone Transcription Project (usgwtombstones.org)
- Franklin Co., Vermont Cemeteries (Internment.net)
- Topographic Cemetery List and Map for Franklin County, Vermont
- Franklin Co., Vermont Cemetery Books (amazon.com)
- Vermont Church & Bible Research Guide
- Swanton, Franklin county, Vermont, Church Records, 1872-1934: Saint Mary’s Church Death Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Swanton, Vermont Church Records, 1858-84 (search.ancestry.com)
- Swanton, Vermont Church Records, 1865-1908 (search.ancestry.com)
- Topographic Church List and Map for Franklin County, Vermont
- Franklin County, Vermont Church Books (amazon.com)
Franklin Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Franklin Co. VT General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Vermont
- Franklin County, Vermont Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Franklin and Grand Isle Counties, Vermont : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of the prominent me (search.ancestry.com)
- A centennial history of St. Albans, Vermont : organized July 28th, 1788 (search.ancestry.com)
- Advantages, resources and attractions of St. Albans, Vt. : its location, railroad facilities, churches, schools, literary and s (search.ancestry.com)
- Some early records of Fairfield, Vermont (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical discourse on the rise and progress of the First Congregational Church of St. Albans, Vermont (search.ancestry.com)
- Franklin County, Vermont Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Franklin Co. VT Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Franklin County, Vermont (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi’s List – United States – Vermont – Counties – Franklin (cyndislist.com)
- Franklin County Vermont (genealogytrails.com)
- Franklin Co. VTGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Franklin County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Franklin Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Franklin Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Franklin Co. VT Military Records
Franklin Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Franklin, Grand Isle Counties, Vermont Business Directory, 1883 (search.ancestry.com)
- Franklin, Grand Isle Counties, Vermont Business Directory, 1882 (search.ancestry.com)
- St. Albans, Vermont Directory 1886-87 (search.ancestry.com)
- Swanton, Vermont Directory 1886-87 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife’s name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband’s. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year’s directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.