Grand Isle County, Vermont
Grand Isle County was created on November 9, 1802 from part of Chittenden County and Franklin County.
Places adjacent to Grand Isle County are Franklin County, Chittenden County, Clinton County, New York, Le Haut-Richelieu Regional County Municipality, Quebec
Grand Isle County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Grand Isle County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Grand Isle County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Grand Isle Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grand Isle Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Grand Isle Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Grand Isle County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Grand Isle County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Alburgh Historical Society, Inc. , PO Box 453, Alburg Public Library, 165 Main Street, Alburgh, VT 05440; Phone: (802) 796-4144 or (802) 796-3547
- Grand Isle Historical Society, PO Box 23, Grand Isle, VT 05458 ; Phone: (802) 372-4058
- Isle La Motte Historical Society, PO Box 18, Isle La Motte, VT 05463 ; Phone: (802) 928-3077
- North Hero Historical Society, PO Box 175, North Hero, VT 05474; Phone: (802) 372-5544
- Grand Isle County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Grand Isle County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Grand Isle County (usgwarchives.net)
Grand Isle County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Grand Isle County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Grand Isle County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Grand Isle County Courthouse, 3677 U.S. 2, North Hero, VT 05474; (802) 372-8350, has Probate Records from 1796 to present.
- Alburg Town Clerk, P.O. Box 346, Alburg, VT 05440 ; Phone: (802)796-3468
- Grand Isle Town Clerk, PO Box 49, Grand Isle, VT 05458-0049; Phone: (802)372-8830
- Isle La Motte Town Clerk, P.O. Box 250, Isle La Motte, VT 05463 ; Phone: (802)928-3434
- North Hero Town Clerk, P. O. Box 38, North Hero, VT 05474 ; Phone: (802)372-6926
- South Hero Town Clerk, PO Box 175, South Hero, VT 05486-0175; Phone: (802)372-5552
Grand Isle County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Grand Isle County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Grand Isle County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Grand Isle Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Grand Isle Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Vermont Vital Records Research Guide
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Grand Isle Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Vermont Court Records Research Guide
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 7, towns of Grand Isle County. (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Grand Isle Co. VT Census Records
Grand Isle Co. VT Cemeteries & Church Records
Grand Isle Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Grand Isle Co. VT General and History Websites
Grand Isle Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Grand Isle Co. VT Military Records
Grand Isle Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Franklin, Grand Isle Counties, Vermont Business Directory, 1883 (search.ancestry.com)
- Franklin, Grand Isle Counties, Vermont Business Directory, 1882 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.