Orange County, Vermont
Orange County was created on February 22, 1781 from part of the now extinct Cumberland County.
Places adjacent to Orange County are Caledonia County, Grafton County, New Hampshire, Windsor County, Addison County, Washington County.
Orange County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Orange County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Orange County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orange Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orange Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orange Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Orange County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Orange County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Bradford Historical Society, 67 Summer Street, Bradford, VT 05033 ; Phone: (802) 222-4011
- Braintree Historical Society, 33 Old Bass Road, Braintree, VT 05060 ; Phone: (802) 728-5272
- Brookfield Historical Society, PO Box 447, Brookfield, VT 05041
- Chelsea Historical Society, 274 East Randolph Road, Chelsea, VT 05038; Phone: (802) 685-4447
- Corinth Historical Society, Inc., 1767 Center Road, Corinth, VT 05039; Phone: (802) 685-3812
- Fairlee Historical Society, c/o Town Hall, PO Box 95, Fairlee, VT 05045; Phone: (802) 333-4363
- Newbury Historical Society, PO Box 115, Newbury, VT 05051; Phone: (802) 866-5979
- Randolph Historical Society, 17 Winnicooash Street, Laconia, NH 03246; Phone: (802) 728-9308 or (603) 524-4418
- Strafford Historical Society, PO Box 100, Strafford, VT 05072; Phone: (802) 765-4379
- Thetford Historical Society, PO Box 33, 16 Library Road, Thetford, VT 05074; (802)785-2068
- Topsham Historical Society, PO Box 64, East Topsham, VT 05076; Phone: (802) 439-6339
- Tunbridge Historical Society, 24 The Crossroad, Tunbridge, VT 05077 ; Phone: (802) 889-3458
- Vershire Historical Society, PO Box 41, Vershire, VT 05079; Phone: (802) 685-3897 or (802) 333-9296
- West Fairlee Historical Society, PO Box 163, West Fairlee, VT 05083; Phone: (802) 333-4285
- Williamstown Historical Society, PO Box 338, Williamstown, VT 05679; Phone: (802) 433-5451
- Orange County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Orange County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Orange County (usgwarchives.net)
Orange County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Orange County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Orange County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Orange County Courthouse, 5 Court St, Chelsea, VT 05038; (802) 685-4610, has Land Records from 1771–1952; Tax 1789–1847; Misc. 1770–81 (county only) and Probate Records from 1792 to present. Randolph (now Orange) Probate District covers towns in western part of Orange County. Probate district covers towns in eastern part of Orange County; Bradford probates, absorbed by Orange Probate District (above) 1 June 1994. Court records are now at Vermont Public Records Division.
- Bradford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 339, Bradford, VT 05033 ; Phone: (802)222-4727
- Braintree Town Clerk, 932 Vt. Rt. 12A, Braintree, VT 05060 ; Phone: (802)728-9787
- Brookfield Town Clerk, P.O. Box 463, Brookfield, VT 05036 ; Phone: (802)276-3029
- Chelsea Town Clerk, P.O. Box 266, Chelsea, VT 05038 ; Phone: (802)685-4460
- Corinth Town Clerk, P.O. Box 461, Corinth, VT 05039 ; Phone: (802)439-5850
- Fairlee Town Clerk, P.O. Box 95, Fairlee, VT 05045 ; Phone: (802)333-4363
- Newbury Town Clerk, P.O. Box 126, Newbury, VT 05051 ; Phone: (802)866-5521
- Orange Town Clerk, P.O. Box 233, E. Barre, VT 05649 ; Phone: (802)479-2673
- Randolph Town Clerk, Drawer B, Randolph, VT 05060 ; Phone: (802)728-5682
- Strafford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 27, Strafford, VT 05072 ; Phone: (802)765-4411
- Thetford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 126, Thetford Center, VT 05075 ; Phone: (802)785-#####
- Topsham Town Clerk, P.O. Box 69, Topsham, VT 05076 ; Phone: (802)439-5505
- Tunbridge Town Clerk, P.O. Box 6, Tunbridge, VT 05077 ; Phone: (802)889-5521
- Vershire Town Clerk, 6894 VT Rte 113, Vershire, VT 05079 ; Phone: (802)685-2227
- Washington Town Clerk, 2895 VT Rt. 110, Washington, VT 05675 ; Phone: (802)883-2218
- West Fairlee Town Clerk, P.O. Box 615, W. Fairlee, VT 05083 ; Phone: (802)333-9696
- Williamstown Town Clerk, P.O. Box 646, Williamstown, VT 05679 ; Phone: (802)433-5455
Orange County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Orange County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Orange County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Orange Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Orange Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Vermont Vital Records Research Guide
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Orange Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Vermont Court Records Research Guide
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns.
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Orange Co. VT Census Records
Orange Co. VT Cemeteries & Church Records
Orange Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Orange Co. VT General and History Websites
- See Also State History for Vermont
- Orange County, Vermont Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- History of Newbury, Vermont : from the discovery of the Coös country to present time : with genealogical records of many famili (search.ancestry.com)
- A history of Bradford, Vermont : containing some account of the place, of its first settlement in 1765, and the principal impro (search.ancestry.com)
- The history of Braintree, Vermont (search.ancestry.com)
- Sketches of the town of Topsham, Orange County, Vermont, 1929 (search.ancestry.com)
- 150th anniversary of the settlement of Newbury, Vermont : Old Home Week, August 11-16, 1912. (search.ancestry.com)
- Orange County, Vermont Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Orange Co. VT Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Orange County, Vermont (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - Vermont - Counties - Orange (cyndislist.com)
- Orange County Vermont (genealogytrails.com)
- Orange Co. VTGenweb (rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- Orange County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Orange Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Orange Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Orange Co. VT Military Records
Orange Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.