Washington County, Vermont
Washington County was created on February 22, 1781 from parts of Orange County, Caledonia County, and Chittenden County.
Places adjacent to Washington County are Lamoille County, Caledonia County, Orange County, Addison County, Chittenden County.
Washington County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Washington County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Washington County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Washington Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Washington Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Washington County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Washington County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barre Historical Society, PO Box 496, Barre, VT 05641 ; Phone: (802) 476-0567
- Town of Berlin Historical Society, c/o Town Hall, 108 Shed Road, Berlin, VT 05602; Phone: (802) 223-1203
- Cabot Historical Society, P.O. Box 275, 3216 Main Street, Cabot, Vermont 05647; Phone: (802) 563-3396
- Calais Historical Society, PO Box 8, Adamant, VT 05640; Phone: (802) 223-5814
- Duxbury Historical Society, Duxbury Town Office, VT Route 100, Duxbury, VT 05676 ; Phone: (802) 244-7558
- East Montpelier Historical Society, PO Box 63, East Montpelier, VT 05651; Phone:(802) 223-6886
- Fayston Historical Society, 3685 North Fayston Road, Moretown, VT 05660; Phone: (802) 496-2083
- Marshfield Historical Society, 5378 Hollister Hill Road, Marshfield, VT 05658 ; Phone: (802) 426-3411
- Middlesex Historical Society, 5 Church Street, Middlesex, VT 05602; Phone: (802) 272-8074
- Montpelier Historical Society, PO Box 54, Montpelier, VT 05601; Phone: (802) 223-3833
- Moretown Historical Society, 800 South Hill Road, Moretown, VT 05660; Phone: (802) 496-2090
- Northfield Historical Society, PO Box 422, Northfield, VT 05663; Phone: (802) 485-4792
- Plainfield Historical Society, PO Box 223, Plainfield, VT 05667; Phone: (802) 454-1418
- Roxbury Historical Society, PO Box 331, Roxbury, VT 05669; Phone: (802) 485-5619
- Waitsfield Historical Society , PO Box 816, General Benjamin Wait House, VT Route 100, Waitsfield, VT 05673; Phone: (802) 496-2027
- Waterbury Historical Society , PO Box 708, Waterbury, VT 05676; Phone: (802) 244-7067
- Woodbury Historical Society, PO Box 51, Woodbury, VT 05681; Phone: (802) 456-1950
- Worcester Historical Society, PO Box 329, Worcester, VT 05682; Phone: (802) 223-5625
- Washington County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Washington County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Washington County (usgwarchives.net)
Washington County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Washington County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Washington County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Washington County Courthouse, 65 State St, Montpelier, VT 05602; (802) 828-2091, has Probate Records from 1811 to present.
- Barre City, P. O. Box 418, Barre, VT 05641 ; Phone: (802)476-0242
- Barre Town Clerk, P.O. Box 124, Websterville, VT 05678 ; Phone: (802)479-9391
- Berlin Town Clerk , 108 Shed Road, Berlin, VT 05602 ; Phone: (802)229-9298
- Cabot Town Clerk , P.O. Box 36, Cabot, VT 05647 ; Phone: (802)563-2279
- Calais Town Clerk , 668 West County Road, Calais, VT 05648 ; Phone: (802)223-5952
- Duxbury Town Clerk , 3316 Crossett Hill Road, Duxbury, VT 05676 ; Phone: (802)244-6660
- East Montpelier Town Clerk , P.O. Box 157, E. Montpelier, VT 05651 ; Phone: (802)223-3313
- Fayston Town Clerk , 866 N Fayston Rd, North Fayston, VT 05660 ; Phone: (802)496-2454
- Marshfield Town Clerk , 122 School Street, Rm.1, Marshfield, VT 05658 ; Phone: (802)426-3305
- Middlesex Town Clerk , 5 Church Street, Middlesex, VT 05602 ; Phone: (802)223-5915
- Montpelier Town Clerk , 39 Main St., Montpelier, VT 05602 ; Phone: (802)223-9500
- Moretown Town Clerk , P.O. Box 666, Moretown, VT 05660 ; Phone: (802)496-3645
- Northfield Town Clerk , 51 South Main Street, Northfield, VT 05663 ; Phone: (802)485-5421
- Plainfield Town Clerk , P.O. Box 217, Plainfield, VT 05667 ; Phone: (802)454-8461
- Roxbury Town Clerk , P.O. Box 53, Roxbury, VT 05669 ; Phone: (802)485-7840
- Waitsfield Town Clerk , 9 Bridge Street, Waitsfield, VT 05673 ; Phone: (802)496-2218
- Warren Town Clerk , P.O. Box 337, Warren, VT 05674 ; Phone: (802)496-2709
- Waterbury Town Clerk , 51 South Main Street, Waterbury, VT 05676 ; Phone: (802)244-8447
- Woodbury Town Clerk , P.O. Box 10, Woodbury, VT 05681 ; Phone: (802)456-7051
- Worcester Town Clerk , Drawer 161, Worcester, VT 05682 ; Phone: (802)223-6942
Washington County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Washington County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Washington County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Washington Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Washington Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Vermont Vital Records Research Guide
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Washington Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Vermont Court Records Research Guide
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Washington Co. VT Census Records
Washington Co. VT Cemeteries & Church Records
Washington Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Washington Co. VT General and History Websites
Washington Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Washington Co. VT Military Records
Washington Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Barre, Vermont Directory, 1890-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Montpelier, Vermont Directory 1890-91 (search.ancestry.com)
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.