Essex County, Vermont
Essex County was created on November 5, 1792 from part of Orange County.
Places adjacent to Essex County are Coos County, New Hampshire, Grafton County, New Hampshire, Caledonia County, Orleans County, Coaticook Regional County Municipality, Quebec.
Essex County vital records from the last five (5) yearscan be found at the Vermont Office of Vital Records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Vermont for current fees and application process. For Records more than five (5) years ago can be ordered from the Vermont State Archives and Records Administration.
You can search online for Essex County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for Vermont Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications to mail.
Essex County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in exploring your family tree. United states federal Population Schedules are available for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Essex Co. Mortality Schedules can be found for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be acquired for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Essex Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be obtained for 1890. You can get free down loadable and also printable census forms to assist with your research.
Essex County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Essex County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- RAOGK Volunteers for Vermont (raogk.org)
- Vermont Genealogy Network Community (plus.google.com)
- Vermont State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Canaan Historical Society, 27 Park Street, Canaan, VT 05903; Phone: (802) 266-3989
- Concord Historical Society, PO Box 301, Concord, VT 05824-0301; Phone: (802) 695-3330
- Island Pond Historical Society, PO Box 408, Island Pond, VT 05846; Phone: (802) 723-4345
- Lunenburg Historical Society, PO Box 195, Lunenburg, VT 05906; Phone:(802) 892-6102
- Essex County, Vermont Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com)
- Essex County, Vermont Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
- USGenWeb Archives for Essex County (usgwarchives.net)
Essex County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers frequently forget about the significance of Essex County court, probate, and land records data as a resource of family history and genealogy information. Hidden away in Vermont courthouses and archives everywhere are the ambitions and frustrations of countless Vermont citizens. The odds are great that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth document of at least quite a few factors of their lives in the Essex County court records. Even if your ancestors and forefathers is not mentioned in a Court case, take into consideration all of the other methods which often can have lead to him or her appearing in court records.
Essex County Courthouse, 75 Guildhall Hill Rd, East Concord, VT 05906; (802) 676-3910, has Land Records from 1793–1971 (county only) and Probate Records from 1791 to present.
- Bloomfield Town Clerk, P. O. Box 336, N. Stratford, VT 03590 ; Phone: (802)962-5191
- Brighton Town Clerk, P. O. Box 377, Island Pond, VT 05846 ; Phone: (802)723-4405
- Brunswick Town Clerk, 994 VT Rt. 102, Brunswick, VT 05905 ; Phone: (802)962-5514
- Canaan Town Clerk, P.O. Box 159, Canaan, VT 05903 ; Phone: (802)266-3370
- Concord Town Clerk, P.O. Box 317, Concord, VT 05824 ; Phone: (802)695-2220
- East Haven Town Clerk, P.O. Box 10, East Haven, VT 05837 ; Phone: (802)467-3772
- Granby Town Clerk, P.O. Box 56, Granby, VT 05840 ; Phone: (802)328-3611
- Guildhall Town Clerk, P.O. Box 10, Guildhall, VT 05905 ; Phone: (802)676-3797
- Lemington Town Clerk, 2549 River Road, VT 102, Lemington, VT 05903-9610; Phone: (802)277-4814
- Lunenburg Town Clerk, P.O. Box 54, Lunenburg, VT 05906 ; Phone: (802)892-5959
- Maidstone Town Clerk, P.O. Box 118, Guildhall, VT 05905 ; Phone: (802)676-3210
- Norton Town Clerk, 172 Leo's Lane, Norton, VT 05907 ; Phone: (802)822-9935
- Victory Town Clerk, P.O. Box 609, N. Concord, VT 05858 ; Phone: (802)328-2400
Essex County Links
The following are links to Genealogy and family history, Records and Resources pertaining to Essex County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some call for a cost. This is just a listing which has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to submit your own favorite Essex County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Essex Co. VT Books, Newspapers & Publications
Essex Co. VT Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- Vermont Vital Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-1954 (familysearch.org)Name index and images (index cards) of town clerk transcriptions of births, marriages and deaths, 1760-1954. This collection is complete for years 1871-1908.
- Vermont, Vital Records, 1760-2003 (familysearch.org) Images from microfilm of births, marriages and deaths. The records for 1955-1979 are arranged alphabetically. Images courtesy of Ancestry.com and the Vermont State Archives.
- Vermont, Births and Christenings, 1765-1908 (familysearch.org) ame index to birth, baptism and christening records from the state of Vermont. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Vermont, Deaths and Burials, 1871-1965 (familysearch.org) Name index to death and burial records from the state of Vermont. Microfilm copies of these records are available at the Family History Library and Family History Centers. This set contains 74,099 records. The year range represents most of the records. A few records may be earlier or later.
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Essex Co. VT Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
- Vermont Court Records Research Guide (raogk.org)
- Vermont, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005 (familysearch.org) Vital and town records acquired from local town clerk offices.
- Vermont, Land Records, Early to 1900 (familysearch.org) Land records give the locations and dates for land transactions with the names of buyers and sellers. Most volumes of land records have indexes of buyers and sellers. Look in the indexes first to find the volumes and page numbers where the actual land records can be found. Then look in the appropriate land records volumes to see the images of the deeds. This index currently has the following years: 1850 to 1900
- Vermont, Probate Files, 1791-1919 (familysearch.org) Index and images of probate estate files. Each estate file consists of multiple images. Currently images are available for Chittenden and Essex Counties. Additional counties will be added later.
- Vermont, Town Records, 1850-2005 (familysearch.org) Images of Vermont vital records from various counties and towns. Curently includes only records from the following counties: Addison, Bennington, Chittenden, Franklin, Lamoille, Orange, Orleans, and Rutland.
- BLM Land Records (glorecords.blm.gov)
Essex Co. VT Census Records
Essex Co. VT Cemeteries & Church Records
Essex Co. VT Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Essex Co. VT General and History Websites
Essex Co. VT Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Essex Co. VT Military Records
Essex Co. VT Schools & Directories
- Vermont City Directories (search.ancestry.com) This database is a collection of city directories for various years and cities in Vermont. Generally a city directory will contain an alphabetical list of its citizens, listing the names of the heads of households, their addresses, and occupational information. Sometimes the wife's name will be listed in parentheses or italics following the husband's. Often, dates of deaths of individuals listed in the previous year's directory are listed as well as the names of partners of firms, and when possible, the forwarding addresses or post offices of people who moved to another town. In addition to the alphabetical portion, a city directory may also contain a business directory, street directory, governmental directory, and listings of town officers, schools, societies, churches, post offices, and other miscellaneous matters of general and local interest.