South Carolina History & Facts
Orangeburg County, South Carolina Facts
When was Orangeburg County, SC Created?
Orangeburg County was established on 1769 from 1769 Judicial District.
What counties are adjacent to Orangeburg County, SC?
Bordering counties are Calhoun County, Clarendon County, Dorchester County, Berkeley County, Bamberg County, Colleton County, Aiken County, Barnwell County, Lexington County.
Orangeburg County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Orangeburg County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Orangeburg County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Orangeburg County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Orangeburg County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Orangeburg County, SC Census Records
What Orangeburg County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Orangeburg Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Orangeburg Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orangeburg Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Orangeburg Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Orangeburg County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Orangeburg County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Orangeburg County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Orangeburg County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 190 Gibson Street, Orangeburg, SC 29115
- Orangeburg County Register of Deeds
- Phone: 803-533-6235
- Land Records: 1824 On-line Research
- Orangeburg County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 803-533-6280
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1864
- Orangeburg County Clerk of Court
- Phone: 803-533-6260
- Court Records: 1824
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Orangeburg County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Orangeburg County, SC?
A list of Orangeburg County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Orangeburg Historical and Genealogical Society, PO Box 959, Orangeburg, SC 29116; Telephone: (803) 531-1002
- Orangeburg County Historical Society, Inc., Box 1881, Orangeburg, SC 29116-1881; Telephone: (803) 535-0022
- Orangeburgh German-Swiss Genealogical Society, PO BOX 974, Orangeburg SC 29116-0974
- USGenWeb Archives for Orangeburg County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Orangeburg County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Orangeburg County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Orangeburg County
- Orangeburg County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Orangeburg County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Orangeburg County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.