South Carolina History & Facts
Dorchester County, South Carolina Facts
Dorchester County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Dorchester County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Dorchester County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Dorchester County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Dorchester County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Dorchester County, SC Census Records
What Dorchester County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Dorchester County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Dorchester County Courthouse?
- Dorchester County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 5200 East Jim Bilton Boulevard, St. George, S.C. 29477
- Dorchester County Register of Deeds
- Address: 201 Johnston Street, Saint George, SC 29477
- Phone: Summerville area – 843-832-0181 St. George area – 843-563-0181
- Land Records: 1897
- Dorchester County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: 843-563-5785 or 843-851-5785
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1897
- Dorchester County Clerk of Court
- Phone: (843) 563 -0160
- Court Records: 1897
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Dorchester County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Dorchester County, SC?
A list of Dorchester County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Upper Dorchester County Historical Society, Inc., PO Box 15, Dorchester, SC 29437; Telephone: (843) 563-2298
- Summerville Preservation Society, P.O. Box 511, Summerville, SC 29484; (843) 871-4276
- Middleton Place Foundation, 4600 Ashley River Road, Charleston, SC 29414;(843) 556-6020
- USGenWeb Archives for Dorchester County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Dorchester County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Dorchester County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Dorchester County
- Dorchester County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Dorchester County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Dorchester County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.