South Carolina History & Facts
Berkeley County, South Carolina Facts
When was Berkeley County, SC Created?
Berkeley County was established on January 31, 1882 from Charleston County (was orginally created in 1682, and included St. John Berkeley Parish, St. James Goose Creek Parish, St. James Santee Parish, St. Stephen Parish, and St. Thomas Parish and St. Denis Parish.But in 1769 Berkeley County and the parishes became part of Charleston District).
Berkeley County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Berkeley County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Berkeley County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Berkeley County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Berkeley County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Berkeley County, SC Census Records
What Berkeley County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1890 (fragment), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Berkeley County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Berkeley County Courthouse?
- Berkeley County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 1003 Hwy 52, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Berkeley County Register of Deeds
- Phone: (843) 719-4084
- Land Records: 1883
- Berkeley County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (843) 719-4519
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1883
- Berkeley County Clerk of Court
- Address: 300-B California Avenue, Moncks Corner, SC 29461
- Phone: (843) 719-4400
- Court Records: 1881
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Berkeley County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Berkeley County, SC?
A list of Berkeley County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Berkeley County Historical Society, P.O. Box 504, Moncks Corner SC 29461; (864) 899-4405
- Berkeley Museum, 950 Stony Landing Road, Moncks Corner, SC 29461; (843) 899-5101
- USGenWeb Archives for Berkeley County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Berkeley County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Berkeley County
- Berkeley County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Berkeley County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Berkeley County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.