South Carolina History & Facts
Georgetown County, South Carolina Facts
When was Georgetown County, SC Created?
Georgetown County was established on 1769 from 1769 Judicial District (originally called Winyah County but was renamed in 1800).
Georgetown County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Georgetown County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Georgetown County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Georgetown County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Georgetown County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Georgetown County, SC Census Records
What Georgetown County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Georgetown Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Georgetown Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Georgetown Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Georgetown Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Georgetown County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Georgetown County Courthouse?
The below facts shows exactly what death, marriage, birth, property, wills, and court records are typically in Georgetown County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county.
- Georgetown County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address:401 Cleland Street, Georgetown, SC 29442
- Georgetown County Register of Deeds
- Address: 129 Screven Street, Room 109, Georgetown, SC 29442
- Phone: (843)-545-3088
- Land Records: 1862
- Georgetown County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (843)-545-3274
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1862
- Georgetown County Clerk of Court
- Phone: (843)-545-3215
- Court Records: 1783
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Georgetown County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Georgetown County, SC?
A list of Georgetown County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Georgetown County Historical Society, PO Box 861, Georgetown, SC 29442; Telephone: (843) 545-7020
- Kaminski House Museum, PO Box 939, Georgetown, SC 29442; phone: (843) 546-7706
- Rice Museum, 633 Front Street, Georgetown, SC 29442; phone: (843) 546-7423
- USGenWeb Archives for Georgetown County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Georgetown County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Georgetown County
- Georgetown County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Georgetown County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Georgetown County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.