South Carolina History & Facts
Barnwell County, South Carolina Facts
When was Barnwell County, SC Created?
Barnwell County was established on 1785 from Orangeburg District (was originally called Winston County, renamed in 1798 to Barnwell).
Barnwell County, SC Vital Records
Where can find Barnwell County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records?
Barnwell County vital records can be found at the South Carolina Department of Health has copies of birth records after 1913 and death records after 1930, copies of marriage since Jan 1962 and a Divorce records since 1958. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in South Carolina for current fees and application process.
Barnwell County Health Department has birth and death records from January 01, 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk’s office. There were no South Carolina birth or Death “certificates” before January 01, 1915
You can search online for Barnwell County Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Records. You can also Order Electronically Online or can download an application for South Carolina Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Application to mail.
Barnwell County, SC Census Records
What Barnwell County, SC census records are available?
County census records consists of Federal Census Schedules to aid in finding out about your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are available for 1790-1890, 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940.
Barnwell Co. Slave Schedules can be acquired for 1850 & 1860. Barnwell Co. Mortality Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barnwell Co. Industry and Agriculture Schedules can be obtained for 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. Barnwell Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. One can find free downloadable not to mention printable census forms to help you with your research.
Barnwell County, SC Courthouse and Government Records
What genealogical records can I find in the Barnwell County Courthouse?
The below details shows what birth, marriage, death, property, probate, and legal records are typically in Barnwell County. The dates suggested below are the first recognized records data with this county. Records of Winton County (1785—91) in Orangeburgh Circuit Court District are housed in Barnwell County.
- Barnwell County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 141 Main Street, Barnwell, SC 29812
- Barnwell County Clerk of Probate Court
- Phone: (803) 541-1032
- Marriage Records: 1911
- Probate Records: 1800
- Barnwell County Clerk of Court
- Phone: (803) 541 -1020
- Land Records: 1800
- Court Records: 1800
- Divorce Records:since April 1949
Barnwell County, SC Societies and Family History Resources
What genealogical and historical societies, archives, museums, associations and libraries are available for Barnwell County, SC?
A list of Barnwell County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Libraries, Archives.
- Aiken-Barnwell Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 415, Aiken, SC 29802
- Barnwell County Museum and Historical Board, PO Box 422, Barnwell, SC 29812
- Blackville Area Historical Society, P O Box 277, Blackville, SC 29817
- USGenWeb Archives for Barnwell County (usgwarchives.net)
- South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 8301 Parklane Road; Columbia, SC 29223-4905; Tel: (803) 896-6100
- South Carolina State Library, 1500 Senate Street, PO Box 11469; Columbia, South Carolina 29211; Voice: (803) 734-8666
- South Carolina Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 16355, Greenville, SC 29606
- South Carolina Historical Society, 100 Meeting Street, Charleston 29401
- South Carolina Archives, Historical & Genealogical Societies Guide
Where can I connect with other Barnwell County, SC Researchers through message boards and forums?
- South Carolina State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Barnwell County, South Carolina Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Barnwell County
- Barnwell County, South Carolina Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com)
What other genealogical resources are available in Barnwell County, SC?
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources related to Barnwell County. These genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business oriented Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some have to have a payment. This is just a directory that has been collected or submitted. I do not endorse or promote one genealogy site above another.